About Me

My Photo
Shoreline, CT, United States
I would love for you to join me (a retired senior)in my zany crafting adventures with quilting (waaaaay too much fabric); scrapbooking (will I ever catch up?); redwork; counted cross stitch; crossword puzzles; reading; and cooking.

Thursday, March 27, 2014

SHE'S BAAACK!

Crochet Update (Hi MaryAnn):

I am crocheting the blocks together in rows horizontally now; 4 rows done, three
to go--I am doing one row/day; next time though, I would butt the wrong sides together and have the slightly ridged rows on the FRONT...but this is how you learn, n'est pas???

AND HERE IS MY BACK TO QUILTING PROJECT FOR ALL OF YOU WHO WERE WONDERING IF I WAS EVER COMING BACK TO QUILTING:
(and no, it's not an old unfinished one....big surprise...haha!)


Here is the pattern I downloaded from my internet search BUT
I have to thank Cathy for her inspiring posts of her re-make of her Grandmother's old butterfly quilt.  AND my longing for Spring weather...and don't butterflies really mean SPRING???  
And also you may notice that this is an APPLIQUE pattern.  And I am notoriously lacking in applique skills...on which topic I have lamented to you repeatedly!

BUT--I got a new book--by Tonye Belinda Phillips called: "Hand Appliqued Quilts" Beautiful Designs and Simple Techniques" that just told me in no uncertain terms that "You CAN do it!" Her easy, no-nonsense approach and free-form patterns I just am LOVING.

Here are my freezer paper/starch/prepared butterflies:















AND here are my new "best friends" in the applique world:
My Dritz mini iron, my sharp scissors and my stiletto to help me turn these seams over and just a little to the right a snippet of my spray starch....
AND her are the first results
My little work station and the first turned butterflies--oh--I am so excited!  It really works!  I did try glue stick first and needleturn--but they just do not give me the same results.  I know this may be Old News to you applique mavens out there...but this is the first real success I have had with those "pesky" outer curves that have stymied me for so long....


And here is my favorite butterfly so far--they are all batiks and I have no idea how I will set them--but that will be the fun part!  

I guess being a stubborn Taurus has its benefits--as a May birthday gal I just get onto something and stick to it--not always good, but in this case--merveilleux!!

Hugs to all, Julierose, La Blageuse

11 comments:

  1. beautiful afghan and love the butterflies! what a gorgeous quilt these will make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much Dawn--the afghan is now almost together--yay!! I am learning just how much crocheting with yarn stretches (yikes!!) But despite having to fudge a lot of seams, I am moving on...can't be too critical as it's my very first attempt. (Keep telling yourself that one!!) Hugs

      Delete
  2. Hi Julierose! Love those butterflies! They will be awesome! Can't wait to see more! I use starch for my hexies...works great! I was thinking about your clematis yesterday. I am getting sprouts! You should have more blooms this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Missie--I am smitten with these butterfly shapes--like starstruck!! No little signs of Spring here--we are having some sleet/flakey stuff AGAIN and it is 36 degrees with windchills that take us below freezing--Ack!! Thanks for clematis tips...hugs

      Delete
  3. Yes! You can do it and your butterflies are beautiful! It's going to be a wonderful Spring quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are baaack! Love your butterflies. I've been thinking about applique, too, something to stitch in the evenings in front of the TV. Love the fabrics you have chosen.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your kind words, Terri--I have lots of batiks and couldn't find a way to start cutting into them (yes, I just look, re-fold and pat them in place mostly!!) ! I plan to back them with white on white ...hugs,

      Delete
  5. Glad to have you back! Your afghan is looking great! Love the butterflies! I have an antique quilt my husband's grandmother made that is all appliqued butterflies! I'll send you a picture if you're interested. You're going to make a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful butterfly's. So glad you are back. I missed your post so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your crochet blanket is looking gorgeous!!! And your butterflies will be lovely - I take it you are hand appliqueing these?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Raewyn--thanks for your kind words...yep--I am going to attempt to applique these--but I will be using a blanket stitch all round and then embroidering the butterflies' markings and antennae(is that what they are??) :--))

      Delete

Hello, glad you came to visit; please leave your comments, I love to read them.