About Me

My Photo
Shoreline, CT, United States
I would love for you to join me (a retired senior)in my zany crafting adventures with quilting (waaaaay too much fabric); scrapbooking (will I ever catch up?); redwork; counted cross stitch; crossword puzzles; reading; and cooking.

Sunday, March 16, 2014

SUNNY SUNDAY READING...

i AM SENDING YOU ALL, MY BLOGGY FRIENDS,  THIS QUOTE FROM MY LATEST FAVORITE BOOK:

"Around the House and Garden:A Memoir of Heartbreak, Healing, and Home Improvement" by Dominique Browning:

"...My grandmother in Kentucky used to make dresses for all her grandchildren.  I remember she would lie me down on the floor, perfectly still, on brown paper--grocery bags cut open and flattened--so that she could trace a pattern around my little body.  I would watch over her shoulder as she transferred the pattern to fabric; the scraps would go into a quilting bag.  Nothing would be thrown out; that would be unthinkable.  My boys and I, and my sisters and brother and cousins, sleep under quilts patched together over the years by my grandmother, and her mother, and then her daughters.  Sometimes I finger the tiny squares and imagine the dress or shirt someone wore, someone I knew and loved.  So it is, looking out over our gardens.  Not a seed wasted.  Not a plant without a memory." pps:140-141

I highly recommend this book as a heart-warming read on these last (and I sincerely I hope) cold Winter days....
Enjoy--hugs, Julierose, La blageuse...still crocheteuse..
.P.S. (I am not blogging a lot lately as my Mom fell and fractured her hip and in still in hospital--we have been running up there every day cheering her on--at 94 it cannot be easy...) 

8 comments:

  1. Hugs to you and to your Mom. Sorry to hear she fell... and has to be confined in the hospital. We'll pray for her.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julierose, I hope your Mum is doing ok, how lovely it is that she has you to visit and help. I love this quote from the book - thank you for sharing! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes for your Mom's speedy recovery! And don't worry about blogging....we'll be here when you're ready! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about your Mum and best wishes for her speedy recovery.
    Thanks for sharing the few lines from the book - sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about your Mum - I send my best wishes tdo her and hope she is soon on the road to recovery.
    Thanks also for sharing the words from your book - it sound a delightful read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a great book. I hope your Mom is doing better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Julierose. A lovely quote and this is why working with fabric is so much more satisfying to me than working with paint. Fabric contains so many layers of meaning and memory. And may your mother get well soon.
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete

Hello, glad you came to visit; please leave your comments, I love to read them.