About Me

My photo
Shoreline, CT, United States
I would love for you to join me (a retired senior)in my zany crafting adventures with quilting (waaaaay too much fabric); scrapbooking (will I ever catch up?); redwork; counted cross stitch; crossword puzzles; reading; and cooking.

Friday, February 5, 2016

ROOM WITH A VIEW


Gazing out at our first big snow storm....it is wet and heavy and our cedars are bowing in the wind.....


                                             HEARTS OF SNOW
My new hand piece continuing my Comfort Cloth series...I am letting the first one
(Grief cloth) rest a bit on my wall...it needs something else--but I don't know what as yet..............and so......needing to continue with a comforting hand work.....

Here are the floating hearts I appliqued last night...using the fabrics I  tea/metal
dyed 
appliqued on a nice white linen....
you can see where the darker stain was touching the metal...
this was from a walnut dye pot from long ago--

a Summer simmering in the shimmering heat....

looking out at our white landscape today,
              it doesn't seem possible that Summer will come again....

But we are tucked up inside under lap quilts sipping tea
--not having to go anywhere--so---
it is a gift of beauty in this grey Winter...

I have prepared a roast chicken for a mid afternoon dinner with mashed potatoes and stuffing and cran sauce....warms the cockles of our hearts just thinking about it
 (what are cockles anyway??) LOL

I managed to trim Steven's quilt yesterday and it is resting on the spare bed until I gather enough black and white fabrics to cut for binding.....

I hope you are all warm and safe and able to enjoy this Winter blessing.....
hugs Julierose, La Blageuse (snowed-in-euse)


10 comments:

  1. sounds like you have your day planned - nice mid day meal and you can have leftovers in the evening or make soup from leftover chicken! snow is so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we could have a nice snow like that ... and if we can't have the snow, then why can't it be spring? Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like your hearts, and you got snow again? We had a little, not enough to make a difference but blue sky and sunshine again. Something is just not right when we have sunshine and blue sky in Michigan and you are getting so much winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your heart piece is lovely and the photograph you took of it is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Julie your floating heart piece is beautiful!! I have a number of old damask pieces and handkerchieves from probably early 20th century would they be OK as a base for something like this? I must try and use natural dyes too - I am really in love with this piece! Pleased you're both keeping warm, to me the snow scene is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your view is so different to mine! Love the heart piece. Stay warm (and I'll try to stay cool...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A cockle is a small, edible, saltwater clam, a marine bivalve mollusk. they look like a heart shape a little. I think that is where that saying came from. we got about 8 inches.grrrrr....I had to go out in it which makes it not fun. your hearts are nice

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goodness--you got a lot of snow--good thing you are having that cockle warming meal! I'm not sure what they are either, but I know they have to be kept warm--lol! The tea dyed hearts are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wasn't that a crazy surprise storm! glad you were safe and warm.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, glad you came to visit; please leave your comments, I love to read them.