This quilt will commemorate
our travels while we
were young...
👵👴
3 European trips:
2 with Tom and
1 with my Mom when I
took her to Ireland...
and 3 cruises...
So ....
"Many Trips Around the World"
I am using these very
scrappy leftover
jelly roll strips--
all cut 16" long +/-
I cut two from the same strip
and
only one from others..
and
I am using Bonnie Hunter's
instructions:
↨↨↨
how/when to iron seams...??
(Any hints out there?)
So far, I've tried AFTER tube is sewn,
then BEFORE tube is sewn;
and I am not that happy
with either result...
the 2nd block on the
right above is a bit wonkey!!
I ironed those seams
on the wonkier one
BEFORE
I sewed the tube together..
I think the
the other one came out better...
I think it will be fun twisting
and turning them
to find what I like best
*********************
I send all best wishes to all of you
out there celebrating
MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND...
Hugs, Julierose,
La Blageuse
(remembering-our-fallen-heroes-euse)




"Little by little, one travels far."
ReplyDelete--J.R.R. Tolkien--
Its always so nice to remember very those overseas trips, isnt it. Although they all seen so long ago these days. And who knows if we will ever travel so far again in the future with everything that is going on these days? Wishing you many pleasant memories as you happily stitch away.
ReplyDeleteSo nice to make a quilt to commemorate your travels. I have decided that I'm going to save a small piece of all the fabrics I use for making dresses for our newest grandie and maybe, one day, I'll make her a quilt from them.
ReplyDeleteYou are quite the world traveler! I have only been to England when my daughter's family lived there.
ReplyDeleteI've enjoyed the scrappy trips and TAWs I've made. Clever idea to commemorate your travels. I pressed mine before making a tube but half the time ended up having to re-press as I sewed the block. Always the wrong way.
ReplyDeleteNo advise on the pressing but your blocks are looking great!
ReplyDeleteSuch a good idea to make a TATW remembering your travels, I have made a few small quilts relating to my trip around the world, perhaps I could follow your example and stitch a TATW. I began one many months ago - one block - and ironed the strips in quite the wrong way, next time I will read up first.
ReplyDeleteLove a good TAW … and this is looking very special, making memories!
ReplyDeleteWonderful idea and looks great!
ReplyDeleteI've had a scrappy trip in the back of my mind for ages and never get around to it. I will live through your travels with this project, for now.
ReplyDeleteIt will be beautiful when finished! Are some of those strips acquired on your travels?
ReplyDeleteA great idea and some really pretty strips to work with. I have only ever made one TAW mini, so I'm no help in the pressing department.
ReplyDeleteI loved my trip to Ireland and visited the area where my ancestors used to live in Galway. I think I'm scared to go on a cruise.
ReplyDeleteI'm with you on making a TATW but I'm using 2 inch darker colored strips. As I come across appropriate scraps I throw them into the TATW box. I haven't made any in awhile but next time I get into the box I'll see how I ironed them. I'm also using BH's method to make them. Sometimes I get mixed up unpicking!
Well, aren't you the seasoned traveller. =) How fun to make a scrappy Trip Around The World quilt filled with memories of all your trips. This quilt is going to be lovely. How nice it would be to hop on a plane and travel to another country, but at the moment, I wonder if we dare?
ReplyDeleteI don't know about tubes or even what they are in this context, but your quilt so far is lovely! Pressing seams always is an issue. I made a child's play quilt the other night, couldn't have been plainer or simpler and by the last three rows I was making a horrible mess of my seam direction. I guess I was getting tired? Good new is the child is only 2 1/2, she won't care/ front looks ok.
ReplyDeleteThe start of the quilt looks lovely. How big are you making it? Bonnie Hunter has some really great patterns.
ReplyDeleteIt will be a beautiful quilt
ReplyDeleteSuch gorgeous fabrics! This is going to come out great! I find some of Bonnie Hunter's patterns never address how to iron. Love her patterns but I usually have to figure out which way to iron the seam.
ReplyDeleteI like the colors and fabrics in your trips blocks. I really like Trip Around the World quilts but I don't think I could ever make one. One set of directions I read had you sew the strips, cut to width, then unstitch squares and resew them to the other end. Yours looks great and I hope you can figure out how to prevent the wonkiness and when to press seams.
ReplyDeleteI love doing scrappy trips blocks! I iron my seams before I sew the tube, and leave the last seam - the one that makes the tube - unpressed. Then, when I start sewing the blocks together, I just finger press that seam whatever direction it needs to go.
ReplyDelete