About Me

My photo
Shoreline, CT, United States
I would love for you to join me (a retired senior)in my zany crafting adventures with quilting (waaaaay too much fabric); scrapbooking (will I ever catch up?); redwork; counted cross stitch; crossword puzzles; reading; and cooking.

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

D-DAY-68 years ago....A Reminiscence

I usually visit Mom in her nursing home every Wednesday. Some days are better than others; she is 92 and ""with us,& not so much sometimes"....

 Today we recalled D-Day memories--she was "with it" for a while..., enough so that we could recall together--those golden days......Little memories, like shards of shiney glass sparked between us for a while..
.how Dad used to bring her coffee in bed before leaving for work most days...I would have climbed into bed with her --I was just one year old then...and he would bring me my own special "cafe au lait"--mostly milk, in my own special blue glass demitasse (I can see it still, his handing it to me in its little saucer) and Mom and I would sip our morning drinks together--very serious business this.

 My Uncle Julian, her brother, and my godfather, was away at war...so...she taught me how to say "Okinowa" and Iwo Jima"...some of the first words I mastered....I was named after mon oncle Julian and my Grand'mere Rose's  mother who also was "Julie"--not Julia--very important this also...we only spoke french in our house--I still sometimes dream in french...and so  here I am "Julierose"....

We remembered that one of Dad's carpenter brothers made me a big sandbox under our backyard "Catalpa" tree--I don't see those anymore...I would sit and play for hours in its shade with the sifters and pails...while Mom hung out the wash and talked with our neighbors who came from Wales...and mon onlcle Joe hung  a big swing on two cedar poles...I used to peel the bark off of them and swing so high.......why do I remember these things and not others--it is a mystery, this mind we have....

This was a very good day for us....How can you be sad and glad at the same time?

I came home soon after she was "gone away" again into that special world of hers were I cannot follow....

Came home and sewed and sewed....Julierose, La Blageuse

3 comments:

  1. So glad you are able to visit "sometimes". How I miss the older generation, somehow my generation will never be as great as they.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had a nice visit overall. My dad is having memory issues. He sometimes doesn't know me when I call on the phone. He seems better when I'm visiting and he's able to see me. It's so hard. I guess all we can do is make the best of it. My first language was Italian. My mom was quite young when I was born and hadn't been in the US very long. She still speaks it to me but I answer in English.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a beautiful, touching post of glad/sad. So much truth spoken here. I too miss the elders and hope that all who can still visit with their mothers, fathers...appreciate that gift. In my family, I am the older generation now. At 53 that feels odd.
    Beautiful weaving and stitching and grandparenting around these parts...glad I stopped in :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello, glad you came to visit; please leave your comments, I love to read them.