About Me

My photo
Shoreline, CT, United States
I would love for you to join me (a retired senior)in my zany crafting adventures with quilting (waaaaay too much fabric); scrapbooking (will I ever catch up?); redwork; counted cross stitch; crossword puzzles; reading; and cooking.

Tuesday, October 30, 2018

AUTUMN SPREAD

I pulled out my Autumn Leaves blanket/bedspread yesterday..and laid it on top of
my spare room double bed...

                   You can see that I also used some ojos for the borders in Fall prints...

Here are some blocks from the reverse side:

This is when we had "Clara Schumann" aka/Schumee our Calico kitty--
I just love all
those fabrics....;))

and  I grew roses and sipped a lot of tea...and, of course, my favorite musical print 
that I wish
I had a few more yards of today..;(((

            More teapots, and musical instruments and flowers and ocean waves...

All these fabrics remind me of our younger years......

and another fabric, the likes of which I cannot seem to find today.....
Love these vibrant, leafy prints....

A favorite block featuring fabrics I purchased on our trip to Maine one long ago
Summer--just the two of us for a short getaway....

Every year I take this out, I am sent down memory lane once again.....

I think this was the third Big Quilt I made--no labeling in those early days....
And not much $$ either to buy fabrics--so they were cherished purchases...saved from my
piano teaching money....
Autumn is the time for Remembrance....

*************************************************************

Tonight I made Shepherd's Pie or as we called it "Portay-Chinois" for 
our dinner. Both my Mom and my Grand-mere used to make this one....
It has:
Layers of cooked ground sirloin, 2nd layer-- corn niblets and, lastly,
 topped with mashed potatoes (with a little sprinkling of paprika on top):

This gets cooked at 350 for about 1 and 1/14 hours and I remove the foil 
for the last 15 minutes so that............................
those potatoes get all browned and bubbly on the top--YUUUUMMMY...
(I live for "brown stuff" ;}}} )

                                                       Thom and I love this meal
                                                       All-in-one dish...;)))

This time of year casseroles and slo-cooker meals just feel right, don't they?

And, this is all done ahead of time--so no FOUR-0'CLOCK cooking--just pop
'er in the oven @ 350 for about 1 to 1/14 hours...

Hugs from cool CT this morning...
Julierose, La Blageuse (je me souviens-euse)

13 comments:

  1. You really build personal quilts. Love the leaves pattern.... almost a snowball pattern.
    We are having temps in the 40s during the day and 30s at night.
    No plants being given away at Halloween this year. Last year a bunch of them froze before the kids got home with them. Don't want the kids to be disappointed.
    I make my Shepherd's Pie with browned ground beef, a can of vegetable soup and mashed potatoes around the edge of the pan. I love the potatoes when they are soaked in the juice. Thanks for reminding me to make it.
    Keep Warm,
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for a wonderful look into your fall celebrations!
    I can smell that casserole coming out of the oven and your fall quilt
    is perfect.
    Almost time to set clocks back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing nicer than slow cooked meals in the colder months, is there. Here in New Zealand our seasons are opposite, spring with summer coming up fast. BBQ weather soon for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum love shep pie.seems everyone does it a little different. One of my friends uses tomato sauce in hers. I mix my veggies with the hamburg and onion and peppers with beef gravy and layer potatoes, beef veggie mix and then potatoes on top. Sometimes a little cheese, depends on my mood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post should remind us all of why quilts are so special! They remind us of our memories. Quilts are so much more than "blankets"! They're our history. Your dinner sounds so good! You're making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a fan of four o'clock cooking either--lol! Your quilt is lovely. It's so nice to revisit those earlier projects full of memories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so creative! I love the story this quilt tells.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful quilt, so evocative of swirly autumn days and memories. Love the idea of shepherds pie, must make it soon. You don t put any gravy or sauce?

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  9. pretty quilt and boy that Shepards Pie look great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this rich burgendy Autumn quilt. well done on having a flimsey to quilt. Hand quilting or machine quilting?

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely autumn quilt, Julierose. I love how you 'connect' with so many of the fabrics. It makes the quilt that much MORE special. The shepherd's pie sounds delish. Longing for cooler temps here...

    ReplyDelete

Hello, glad you came to visit; please leave your comments, I love to read them.