This is my last entry for RSC February's oranges....
I hope to be able to find scraps for each month to be made into a
Zig-Zag little quilt..I began with 5" squares that were leftovers from
various charm packs...I consider these scraps of a sort...;))
I am linking up with ANGELA at (click) for the last day of February
and will be moving on to a new color for March...can't wait to see
what it will be.....
This also served as a "prototype" for a large "SECRET" project that
I am making for the the remaining family member who has not as
yet gotten a lap quilt....????
I have most of the front Chevrons (aka zig zags) set up on my design
wall...
they begin with 10" layer cake squares....
and I have learned a few things:
if I sew the blocks in a two layered block: (2 from top and two below)
they match so much better than sewing a long single row....
[Also that the contrast has to be high to get that effect (see center of
Orange Zig-Zag--see, not enough contrast there....]
And if I press all the seams open the joining is much neater....
since i LOVE 💓💓💓 ironing this is no problem for me
Pandora singing in the background;
opening seams and pressing them flat------
flat flat..so rewarding...
funny huh??? how I like doing this--
well
as a child growing up i used to plead to do the ironing--so
There You Go!!;)))
I haven't decided on how to quilt this or what the backing will be--
perhaps some leftover layer cake squares ;;;
[Wha??? You say???? A large quilt?? but, I thought you said
"No more big quilts, definitely!!"
Well....in the realm of "Never say Never":-000]
A squirrel visited me from MSQ Co.----------------------
with the tutorial that looked so do-able...
and I was in a quandry anyway................
as to what to make that went together
easily and was more modern looking....
that I caved...plus I HAD the layer cakes right here...
sitting on my shelf...It was :
Kismet, Fated, Meant to be.....
Had to be....
More on this later...much later as this will be a surprise
Christmas present...I should have time enough to make and
quilt this one--maybe in quilt-as-you-Go mode...we shall see...
************************************
A blogging friend recently asked me about my last year's Amaryllises....
Oopsey!! I forgot them in the dark recesses of my front hall
closet...ohmygosh.......;((((((
they were so dessicated looking when I retrieved them
a couple days ago, but l👀👀k ⇊⇊⇊⇊⇊⇊:
I watered them and they are sprouting...whether they will deign to flower
after my shoddy treatment remains to be seen.....
this one bloomed a
brilliant deep red;
and I really didn't believe that this one could be saved--but can you see
that little bit of green emerging? Fingers crossed.....;)))) this was a
luscious white and pale green one...hoping, hoping, hoping....
The mosaic tray they are on is one that my Mother made...
she was so precise and neat, ;))))💖
never in a hurry or slap dash in any crafting project she made.
I am trying this year to "take a page from her book" and slow down
and enjoy the process...💕 I miss her a lot....
She and i would get down on the living room floor and spread out
my quilts together, smoothing them; and then pinning them;
and we would have a "Tying Tea Party" with snacks---
around the big dining table that I use to this day....
good memories....
Hugs to you all,
Julierose, La Blageuse (remembering-mostly -euse )




Hi Julierose! Aww, such good memories of you and your mom. I miss mine a lot and she was really on my mind yesterday. Your Amaryllises look like they will recover from the deep long darkness. I think they are fairly forgiving - I sure hope so because I look forward to seeing the blooms. I'm also enjoying your zig zags! Cool choice for the RSC colors of the year. ~smile~ Roseanne
ReplyDeleteGreat memory of your mom. Your orange chevron is looking awesome. Um I abused a poinsettia, I was told to put it in the dark for a few weeks. I forgot to water it, but it is actually leafing out and blooming here and there.
ReplyDeleteThe zigzags are so cool!
ReplyDeleteAnd your amaryllis look great. I'm potting mine for next year, no more glass jars.
I miss my mom too, such special times and good memories.
lizzy
I gave out on orange scraps. You **LOVE** ironing??!!
ReplyDeleteYup!!--"send me your poor, your hungry, your white shirts yearning to be ironed.." hahahahugs, Julierose
DeleteI remember begging to put the groceries away after we went shopping as a teenager. So, you liking to iron doesn't sound to off to me. I like ironing and sorting pre-washed fat quarters but I don't like fussing with open seams. Your orange themed adventure this month has been fun to watch.
ReplyDeleteHow about coming down here and helping me with my ironing
ReplyDeleteLove the zigzags! That's another great way to use up scraps! I love seeing your amaryllis coming back to life. The mosaic is such a lovely reminder of your mom.
ReplyDeleteYour zig zag are great, I'm thinking of doing that design next year for RSC. I love ironing too! Hate vacuuming though.
ReplyDeleteI too have ironing for ya. Funny i dont mind ironing to quilt. Clothes not so much. Nice chevron quilt.looks like your amaryllis are coming back.
ReplyDeleteThose chevrons are pretty in those orange shades. I wonder what your new project is... Aren't plants amazing...can't wait to see these grow for you. You must have a green thumb, JulieRose. :)
ReplyDeleteYou have a new project MSQ Co inspired? That's exciting.
ReplyDeleteYour zigzags look good, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with them.
I love your orange fabric with oranges on it! I started a chevron zig zag quilt for an RSC project, too - I'm liking it already. That's pretty neat that your forgotten amaryllis are sending up shoots!
ReplyDeleteYou are definitely dancing with a squirrel or two - and I can't wait to see the finishes! You clearly have a green thumb -- I clearly do not (besides, Wilbur would taste test them, and we don't need that!) There are fun things going on over at your corner of the quilty world!
ReplyDeleteI like pressing too. very meditative. I'm so happy for your amaryllis~ keep us posted.
ReplyDeleteSweet memories of your mom and love the tray she made. Your zigzags look wonderful! Those amaryllis look really good, can't wait to see the flowers! Have a wonderful week!
ReplyDeleteThe first thing I thought when I saw those zig-zags was how neat they were; all that ironing pays off. I forgot an amaryllis in a cupboard once - by the time I remembered it was like some weird alien being - really, really long and pale and rather creepy.
ReplyDeleteFingers crossed that you have the end result of beautiful Amaryllis flowers, and I like the idea of a small zig-zag quilt.
ReplyDeleteForgetting the amaryllis was probably a good thing! They seem to thrive on neglect. Hope they turn out as nicely as your quilty projects!
ReplyDeleteHappy that the squirrels live in your place, too -- pesky buggers but they're entertaining at least. Watching to see what you do with the layer cakes.
ReplyDeleteYou have some great orange fabric, especially the one with oranges! Those poor bulbs look a bit sad, fingers crossed they will grow!
ReplyDeleteLove the zig zags. Secret projects sre always fun.
ReplyDeleteI am so pleased to find a like-minded quilter who presses seams open! Yes, I love that they lay so flat. And I don't mind pinning to get the seams lined up, either. Glad your amaryllis bulbs are sprouting. I hope you get beautiful flowers soon.
ReplyDeleteGood tip to press seams open. No amaryllis here. I'm waiting for my daisies to grow.
ReplyDeleteGood luck on your amaryllises! I have had varied luck with mine. Some do rebloom, some with not so many blooms, some just make foliage and never rebloom! I think I treat them all the same, but there is something that is different!
ReplyDeleteHah - the 'never say never' syndrome - I know it well! I often say that but then my friends or my kids say 'please' and I'm sunk. I've never had luck getting an amaryllis to re-bloom so I'm anxious to see how yours do. I didn't even get one this year so no experiments for me!
ReplyDeleteBulbs are so forgiving. It is so exciting to see that tiny bit of green appearing. I hope you get flowers, but if not, maybe they will next year.
ReplyDelete