About Me

My photo
Shoreline, CT, United States
I would love for you to join me (a retired senior)in my zany crafting adventures with quilting (waaaaay too much fabric); scrapbooking (will I ever catch up?); redwork; counted cross stitch; crossword puzzles; reading; and cooking.

Saturday, July 15, 2023

BEFORE THE DEER--and AFTER THE STORMS

 
I ran out early this morning to see the blooms begin 
on all my day lilies
BEFORE
the deer prance in and 
eat them all up 
for their dessert!!

We only had 0.11" of rain overnight,
but there was a lot of thunder and
lightning flashing around...

Enough so that it woke us up to
sit a bit @ 3 a.m. in the
living room watching the 
sky show for a while--

Then we went back to sleep--
or at least I did--My DH has
sleeping problems at the best of times,
so he only rested and got up early.

*********************
I am finding that I miss my sewing machine
more than I could've imagined...

So, I am doing a clean-up,
a bit at a time and also
checking out blocks I could make
with my whittled down stash and 
scrappy bits...
Visualizing is not my forte,
so I really have to actually
"MAKE" a block to see how
I like it in the flesh, so to speak!

 I am finding that a lot of blocks really 
only lend themselves to big quilts
and I am not good at scaling down--
or I don't like how they look 
after that process!!

We are pretty much staying inside today 
as between the heat, humidity and
smokiness leftover in our air,
it is nasty out there...
Like a 
SAUNA!!!

I hope your weekend is a good one
Hugs, Julierose,
La Blageuse
(searching-euse)
  




9 comments:

  1. Hi! More storms tonite?

    Funny how many quilters say they aren't good at visualizing. It was a skill I was taught as a child, reinforced in design school, then when I first worked in NYC, my design mentor really showed me how/ insisted I do it and do it well. I believe it is a skill not a talent. On the other hand, many of us enjoy the process of creativity, the trial and error is what we love.

    TQC has fun free tiny quilt patterns that lend to scrappy handpiecing.

    Will the deer really eat those gorgeous lilies!? Can you cut them and enjoy in a vase indoors.

    My bedroom AC 'died'' last night. $$$$ new one coming Wednesday. It is sooo humid here, hard to breathe and I burnt my bare feet on the deck this AM. Am waffling about even trying to walk poor Mo. I wish he'd wear doggy crocs.

    love

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got to see the lilies before they disappeared.
    You guys have certainly had your share of rain this summer.
    I love to watch the rain. I'm always disappointed when I
    get up in the morning and find out the rain came while I
    was asleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Lizzy, the deer will eat anything! Most of my lilies are in a gated garden so they are safe. But everything else in the yard is fair game. Heading your way later this month, Julie; I hope the smoke is gone by then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope the deer wandered somewhere else for their dessert. Your storm sounds like some that come through here too, all noise and not enough rain.
    I hope you get your machine back soon and maybe you will have some ideas ready to sew by that time. I guess your machine quilting might come first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Mom would get so mad when the deer would munch on her tulips right before they bloomed! That smoke is terrible up there. I hope you get some fresh clean air soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope the deer decide to find their dessert elsewhere and leave your plants alone. Your garden looks lovely.
    Hope your machine is soon home where she belongs. I can't think how much I would miss mine if it had to go in for repair...scary to contemplate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your day lilies are so pretty, Julierose. I hope the deer left them alone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The weather has been crazy! We had all sorts of tornado watches and warnings yesterday. It's better today but still muggy. I hope you get Helga back soon!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, glad you came to visit; please leave your comments, I love to read them.