About Me

My photo
Shoreline, CT, United States
I would love for you to join me (a retired senior)in my zany crafting adventures with quilting (waaaaay too much fabric); scrapbooking (will I ever catch up?); redwork; counted cross stitch; crossword puzzles; reading; and cooking.

Monday, July 17, 2023

MOON GARDEN STARS PROGRESS, et al

 
I worked on my Moon Garden Stars this morning--
Here are the house pieces, turned and ready to sew
together,,
[you can see Jan Patek's original house on the 
pattern left].

I appliqued the top boat curve --
my quandry was it is red and white so
what color thread?  I chose
red and some little stitches do show...;((((

Could any of you appliquers out there tell
me what a better choice would have been?

Anyway....I am NOT taking it all out...
this is the 1st really big, complicated
piece I've tried; it stumped me when
I began a while ago, but I do want to
finish it...it is just so darling a pattern;)))

I've prepped the house pieces and the chimney
below:
↓↓↓↓

You can see (on the chimney) I am using the
starch and turn method on manilla patterns...

I plan to sew the house together before appliqueing it
onto the background; and also add the part of the 
chimney that rests on the side of the
house...leaving the part that goes on the
background loose until I am ready to
put the whole piece on...
at least that is my plan...

My "take" on the house is a lot
more "flowery" than the pattern,
but I do like it...

The 2 pieces left to pick fabric for are
the flying eagle and the kitty...

I am taking this slowly as my 
hands get really tired
stitching...
But I am enjoying the challenge...

*******************************
We had almost 3" of rain yesterday and
my beautiful day lily repaid me:
Such a gorgeous plant, isn't it?  
[excuse my big finger there;!!(]

And my pot of marigolds has
a bud showing now...


****************************
Tonight I have put together my 
Minnestrone soup for dinner
with some home baked rolls...
A light summertime supper
for two....;))))

Hugs, Julierose
La Blageuse
[it-is-true-you-are-never-too-old-to-learn-euse]
P.S.  I'm not kidding when I say
it is hot and humid here today!!
 Y I K E S !!!!!









 


11 comments:

  1. Your applique project is so pretty! With your needlework skills it'll be a fun easy breeze.

    Lovely garden and flowers. You got all the rain. Here was wet and soggy but only .15" of real rain.

    Diner sounds delish.

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the fabrics you selected for your house. One of the ladies at my old quilt shop used clear thread to stitch down her applique' but I don't know what kind or where she got it. I know the shop didn't carry it. It really is hot there...good thing you have something to do inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually do what you did. . . pick out one color or the other. Do I want to see little red stitches on the white or little white stiches on the red? I bought some really fine Aurifil thread in a light neutral for applique from a store in Wisconsin that used it for everything. I've used it a few times and it works but I would really rather match my thread to my project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a hand applique person but I did take a couple classes on it back in the 1990s plus we had hand applique classes at the quilt shop I managed and we carried the silk thread for her, a neutral color silk thread which just seems to blend into every color and the stitches hardly show. I know I still have a spool of it but can't put my finger on it right now. Also Invisafil is a thin poly thread that comes in colors but is almost as invisible (but easier to handle) than monofilament (nylon or polyester).

    ReplyDelete
  5. To answer your question re what colour thread to use - I think, in my limited experience, that I would have blended with the lighter colour. Then...I'd haul out my handy dandy fine-point Sharpie marker in red and carefully add a little colour to the stitches that show. Make sense? I often do that with my landscapes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your appliqué piece is going to be splendid! Hot and humid here, too -- heat indexes this week over 100 and approaching 110 in the afternoons. Definitely time to stay indoors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look at those daylilies! What a beautiful display.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always heard rule of thumb was to match thread to the item you're appliqueing. I don't always follow it but that's what I heard. I think you can pick whatever you think looks best. Your flowers look beautiful! I hope you're keeping cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is one of the prettiest appliqué patterns I’ve seen so I can see why you want to keep working at it. So, so lovely. Minestrone sounds good. One of my favorite soups.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you see those stitches because you are very close to it...once done and hanging up nobody else will

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a beautiful pattern with your beautiful house that you've begun and your take on the pattern is beautiful, the floral fabric is perfect, roses climbing up the house wall, just right! I should imagine you would need to take this slowly. You've had a good amount of rain, in fact we all seem to be either coping with lots of rain and floods or fire and drought all over the world. I have day lillies in my garden, getting old now and not producing the flowers which they did a number of years ago, yours looks very healthy and happy.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, glad you came to visit; please leave your comments, I love to read them.