I have been wanting to make this "Rail Fence" from Sujata Shah's
amazing book: "Cultural Fusion Quilts" for a long time....
So, &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
when I got those lovely teal chunk pieces from Wanda
(click to visit her site) --
I thought I'd make a test block to see
how I like the pattern and the sewing---
{as I've come to discover-- that altho' I like the look
of lots of blocks--sometimes the actual sewing puts me off--}
So it will be a new entry for RSC for March this week--
In making this block--I found that:
my first rotary long cut was really wonky--👾
but the blocks did come together okay anyway...
BUT...................
I was unhappy with the choppy edges that resulted ..👀👿
ðŸ’ðŸ’ðŸ’
so,
I decided that for the 2nd block, I would mark the
slight curve, and then use scissors to cut the layers
which I pinned--
and it worked out much better for me ... a bit more time, but
better results...
I have laid out my 2nd block now and ...
I think the challenge in making these will be choosing
colors to get that lace-y look I am trying to achieve...
Rotary cutting has become more and more
of a problem --especially through layers for me...
so I am using scissors whenever I can...
***********************
Here is the thread I've chosen to hand quilt "Maru-gata Kimmi"
↧↧↧↧↧↧↧
I think it will give just enough contrast without
being too bright...
I am linking up with Angela at super scrappy for my Saturday visit
to see what all the RSC-ers are up to....do drop in...;)))
Hugs, Julierose, La Blageuse (happy to be able to sew a bit-euse)


Julie, the rail fence block is lovely. I am more impressed by the other fabric in the block. It is a dull, meh fabric and I would have struggled to find a good use for it and I would have used it in pieced backing or a zippered pouch lining. YOU, have made it sing and shine!!! I am a fan :-)
ReplyDeleteIsnt teal a gorgeous color.?! The RSC project has made me really understand color so much better. Interesting rail block, Julierose and the dresden/fan plates are always special.
ReplyDeleteYour new block looks great, Julierose! I've seen whole quilts of those and they are wonderful!
ReplyDeleteScissors work great for Sujata's free form method -- good you found a way to make it work for you! Love the resulting first block and look forward to the ones to come.
ReplyDeleteNice block.
ReplyDeleteI just love your mari-gata wall hanging! Always inspired by your work! Hugs!
ReplyDeleteTwo lovely TEAL blocks!! Enjoy your quilting.
ReplyDeleteFun with turquoise/ teal. Great new block and thread choice.
ReplyDeleteScissors do work well, just practice and you get the knack of using them.
When I first learned to sew and quilt, scissors were what everyone used, I'm sure you know that.
Scissors were used long before rotary cutters so don't worry. Just get feeling better!
ReplyDeleteGreat fabric choices for the rail fence. Can't wait to see your Mari Gata.
ReplyDeleteYour rail fence block looks terrific. I have the book, but haven't tried that block.
ReplyDeleteThe Rail Fence block is so simple yet looks so complex. I puzzled over its construction for quite a while this morning before the ah ha! moment. Your version will be beautiful.
ReplyDeleteThe turquoise Dresden is delightful.
lizzy
I love the block from Sujata's book - lots of lovely ideas in there. I made the Rail Fence just after the book came out and really enjoyed the process.
ReplyDeleteThe rail fence block just sings! And I agree with Preeti (as usual) that the background fabric really elevates it. Take care of yourself and your back. And Thom, too. Be safe and stay healthy. O
ReplyDeleteWonky quit blocks always catch my eye....maybe because I consider myself a bit wonky! I sure didn't see the first photo as being rail fence blocks, but taking a closer look, I do! I think they are lovely. Love your Dresden Plate too. It's one I've had on my list to make for so long. Maybe during this "coronacation" I'll get one done!
ReplyDeleteI've made rail fence stack and whack blocks similar to your rail fence block but never tried any sort of curve in it. Very interesting. I don't have that book but have seen lots of others make lovely things inspired by that book. You are included.
ReplyDeleteLove the look of the rail fence! I think the little bit of wonkiness adds so much interest! Stay in and rest!
ReplyDeleteI love those funky rail fences but I understand how they could be troublesome to stitch up. The chosen thread for your hand quilting couldn't be more perfect. Going to look fabulous!
ReplyDelete