About Me

My photo
Shoreline, CT, United States
I would love for you to join me (a retired senior)in my zany crafting adventures with quilting (waaaaay too much fabric); scrapbooking (will I ever catch up?); redwork; counted cross stitch; crossword puzzles; reading; and cooking.

Wednesday, March 23, 2022

TIME OUT OF MIND... et al

 
Hour Glass blocks=
Passage of time....

and
Sprouts=Garden

and
Canning Jars
[defeated me...;000]
Totally lopsided!! 

But they are what they are....
and remind me of this time
of my life and this story:

TOMATO DAYS:

During Late August
my Mom and I would go to my
Tante Priscilla's home, canning
jars in hand, to join
in the BIG tomato canning session...

We would each be assigned a task...
When I was old enough
I was allowed to dunk the tomatoes in
very hot water and skin them.

One of my Cousins, Claire or Irene,
would be chopping and helping to
stuff the sterilized jars and
my Tante would be pouring in
the liquid as needed.

We made enough to give everyone
20 jars to store for the 
coming Winter..

The whole place smelled of tomatoes...
HEAVENLY...

We had such fun, 
with much laughter and 
catching up on the 
the news.
  
My cousin Claire was 12 years
older than I was and took me 
under her wing...

I loved listening to the cousins'
stories about the boys
they had danced with at the Friday night
dances and the dresses they wore.

My cousin Claire was asked by an older guy
for a dance--he was Italian and told her
"When we dance, your bella' 
has to touch my
bella"!!

She said "You leave my bella' alone!" 
and stomped away..
😏😀😁😂😂😂

That made everyone crack up!!
So like her--she didn't take 
any guff from anyone..

So....
Every time I cut tomatoes
these days, I am reminded of
those young years....

***********************
It is a lovely sunny, but chilly, day
here....warm enough to grill
cheeseburgers [a la Thomas]
and have fries with them...

I hope your day is a glorious one...
hugs, Julierose,
La Blageuse
(still-crazy-after-all-these-years)
;)))))))





22 comments:

  1. What great memories. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You remind me instantly of my family's "tomato canning day"! At my grandma's house the females all gathered and canned bushels. I was never old enough to be much help during those days, but I remember how hard everyone worked. We took home jars and jars but inevitably at least one would spoil. I can see vividly in my mind Grandma's kitchen. A good time!
    I'm enjoying your blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your tomato canning day story and your cousin Claire!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am enjoying these reminiscing blocks and stories - what a gorgeous sampler/memory quilt you will have when they're all put together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like such a fun time! It's rare for families to get together like that these days (covid notwithstanding)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the browns. Very beautiful. Ah, canning tomatoes. I've never done it but made my share of tomato sauce, which is close. Such a mess. And so glad you did it in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely memories and blocks to go with them, too! I like how you made the sprouts - the string blocks worked really well for that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed reading about your lovely family memories. And all that work in the kitchen it must have been a great production line, with everyone helping.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What wonderful stories you are sharing. I enjoy them so much, you know how much I love family tales, traditions and reminiscing. Your jars look good to me, some of my old Mason jars are a bit crooked too.

    Today as the latest storm approaches, I am making traditional spaghetti sauce and tho it doesn't have my parents' wonderful home canned tomatoes, it too is filling the house with the best aromas.

    Tho 1st BBQ and burgers sounds even better!

    love

    lizzy

    PS storm is coastal, just gale and rain, may miss you, no worries!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love hearing your stories and love seeing your blocks! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have lots of great memories. I never was allowed to be in the kitchen except when I was in 4-H and had to do my projects.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great story - really made me laugh - and what lovely memories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a funny story and such a wonderful memory.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, lovely memories! We never had family cooking days but I do know my SIL still pops over to his family home when its time to make the tomato relish.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the canning jar block - lopsided or not! Your canning story reminds me of my mom canning tomatoes as well. Not a skill she passed down to me, alas!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A fun trip down memory lane.love canning tomatoes for winter tastes of fresh tomatoes. Love it

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful memories!!! Love the sprouts - the patchwork kind!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I just loved that Tomato Days memory you shared and the little dance story. Wonderful and there is nothing like fresh tomatoes and to have all those in store for the winter, marvelous. I also love your little blocks there,Julierose!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a delightful story. Getting multiple generations together in the kitchen, what could be better. I think your mason jars look great.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fun memory of canning. I was thinking the other day of the fun the women used to have while doing dishes together after a family meal. All of us crowded into the kitchen, each with a job to do. My mom used to can but never with other ladies.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, glad you came to visit; please leave your comments, I love to read them.