About Me

My photo
Shoreline, CT, United States
I would love for you to join me (a retired senior)in my zany crafting adventures with quilting (waaaaay too much fabric); scrapbooking (will I ever catch up?); redwork; counted cross stitch; crossword puzzles; reading; and cooking.

Monday, August 14, 2023

HEAVY SEAS AHEAD...ET ALS

                                                          LONG WINDED POST
                                                                      TODAY
                                                                          :))

I have begun my ocean quilting journey..
.
I love how the white stitches look a bit like 
Shashiko stitching...and 
makes the waves look three
dimensional...

I think that I am having
more fun with this project
than I have had with any other..
;)))))

 ***********************
My son, Jeff, and his family 
are away on vacation in Northern
Maine for the week
↧↧↧↧
Here is "Lucy" sitting on a raft in the Lake 
looking at their rental home...

["Arf Arf...where did everyone go?"
Actually Jeff is sitting off to the
side in his canoe--that would be
too far for her to swim, 
just so you know ;)))]
Earlier he took her for a good run

File Under:
A tired dog is a good dog hahaha.

This morning My DIL took Lucy
for a kayak ride across the Lake...
and
the girls decided that Maine
Lake waters are pretty
cold in August:
Brrrrr, Grand-mere!!
[Willa L and
Fiona R]
They are getting so big
so fast...
Middle School this year...
already...
They are my last two "baby"
grandchildren...
my daughters' four are all
grown up in college and
working....

********************
Tomorrow, Chez Nous,
our new air conditioner will
be installed...
So far, our old one is
still pumping away--but
we notice that it is on
almost all the time...
********************
Tonight's supper will be:
Pot roast done in the
slow cooker with onions,
mashed potatoes, 
steamed carrot sticks
with a bit of dill and butter...
and applesauce on the side...

FYI: for those of you who asked...

DH goes to PT tomorrow and 
Friday this week; he is doing
a lot better with the pulled
hamstring and feels that
he can even walk farther...

Re: Gypsy Caravan Work--
I am having trouble getting started for
some reason; the shape kind of 
bothers me--silly, I know,
but there it is...so waiting until
inspiration hits to work in it.
*******************
And I am
continuing my binding journey--
Blue Squares is the latest finish...

This reverse is the last of an older
favorite of mine...
My stash of "hoarded" fabrics is being
whittled down...I want to 
"USE" them --not leave them on the shelf...

I have only two Ojos left...
But
finding
good binding fabrics for those is
pretty challenging with all those
colors--
Perhaps B&W fabrics???

If you made it to the end of this long-winded
post I congratulate you..;)))
💙💚💛💜
Hugs,
Julierose,
La Blageuse,
(keeping-busy-euse)










 

15 comments:

  1. Re-reading (still cannot find a book that appeals to me lately)
    "Five Little Pigs" by Agatha Christie...
    I saw the movie version of this one and it was really good....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun post! Lovely projects.

    Glad T is doing better and new AC tomorrow. Will installation be only one day? It's not so hot but really humid.

    Dinner sounds great, in a chilly Novemebr sort of way, lol. I like a hot meal year round tho, yum.

    PS I do that too, I know it is silly but--hoard best most loved fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about not finding books you want to read. There are at least 4 cozy mystery series I've decided to stop reading because they've become stale and the main characters have become tiresome. Have you read any of Sarah Addison Allen. I loved 'Other Birds' which is a whimsical fantasy set on an island near Charleston. I've recently listened to 'The Rosie Project' and 'The Rosie Effect' by Graeme Simsion which were hysterical.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. The post title had me worried! But I love the stitching in your waters! That looks like a heavenly spot up in Maine and yes, the water is much chillier up that way. Have a great week. We've got greek herbs on grilled chicken, tzatziki and pita with a greek salad for dinner tonight. Yummy (feels like 110!) Thankful for the AC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very nice read Julierose. Yes, the stitching on the waves really do make the printed waves look amazing, shame that Gypsy Caravan is sort of on hold at the moment, perhaps just a little more time will have things going. I'm with you on using the fabrics, especially the favourites for the backings, I'm going down that road myself. The water in Maine looks beautifully calm but I think the girls made the right decision to stay dry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your ocean waves! Both the fabric and stitching are perfect.
    Hooray for a new air conditioner. If it has to run less it will certainly help your electric bill.
    It's interesting how some things just don't seem right when we're making something and we can't move forward till we get it right--thinking of the shape of your caravan...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your wave quilting! It really looks like movement. I love the projects you're working on. I'm glad to hear your husband is doing better. It's a good thing you're getting a new air conditioner. This summer has been so weird. I think we will still need it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your ocean waves quilting looks beautiful. It is fantastic to hear that you air conditioner is being installed. Hope you son and his family have a wonderful vacation in Maine. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't it great when you get to work on a project that brings you so much joy. Maybe that designer has other projects you might like to try out?
    Yay for new a/c, especially with the weather extremes we seem to be having. No doubt you'll notice a difference in your hydro bill.
    As for slow cookers (and toaster ovens), I don't know what we'd do without ours. So much easier than heating up the kitchen when it's hot and so comforting to smell whatever's cooking in it in the winter time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The ocean wave quilting is great, I can feel the waves against the boat.
    That sounds like a perfect hot meal. I like a hot meal every time a cool day comes along. Hope the new A/C works good and is efficient and less costly to run.
    Yay! another one finished. I used to have some of that backing fabric.
    Maybe your bindings will end up being several similar fabrics pieced together for the rest of the finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The quilting is just perfect for those waves. It really adds dimension to your piece. Isn't it funny how sometimes things can take the pleasure away from creating. I'm sorry the caravan shape has slowed your down on that project. You're really keeping up with the binding... my least favorite part of making a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The quilting on the waves is just perfect, Julierose. I can see why you are enjoying this piece so much. Gosh, those girls really are growing fast. I hope they have a great school year. Maybe the power bill will decrease with the new a/c. It did when we had to replace the one in our other house. Your pot roast sounds good. We are actually having a cool front tonight, should be in the 50s and your dinner would be perfect (except we are in the camper & not prepared for that kind of meal).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hoping Tom continues to improve, that the new A/C install goes quickly and well, and that the Mainiacs have a wonderful vacation. Your waves are fabulous. Lovely stitching; you must do hand work frequently.
    We all seem to be focused on using those favorite fabrics we’ve been storing way too long. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are correct. That sashiko style stitching does give an added dimension to the waves. The picture of dog longingly looking at the house is just so heartwarming. I am loving the skinny strips block on your quilt. That is an idea for minimalist design file. Wishing your DH a speedy recovery. Hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That quilting texture is wonderful.
    What fun vacation photos!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, glad you came to visit; please leave your comments, I love to read them.