I had just one more row to sew
WHEN..
"This is SO HEAVY", I said to Tom
He hefts it up
"You should weigh it" he suggests
Already 2.4 lbs!!
And this is without backing or binding...;0000
Way (WEIGH) too heavy;
We would be all achey after a
night under this....;000
AND..
It is hanging in my closet
Until I can take it
ALL
APART
(WAH)
and decide what
to do
with these
BLOCKS.....
ALL
80
EIGHTY
of them!!
And so the end is really only the
beginning.....
S I G H ...
Hugs, Julierose
La blageuse
(weighing my options-euse)




Oh what a change of plans . . . perhaps a smaller lap quilt with some (or napping size for one person) and then a second smaller quilt with the others?
ReplyDeleteI think, when that weight is distributed over both bodies you will find it's not really that heavy. Especially if you choose a poly batting and a lightweight fabric for the backing. Try it now with both of you laying under it on your bed before giving up on it! P.s. I'm still working on the quilting of a gigantic king size one that weighs nearly 10 pounds!
ReplyDeleteHow disappointing for you. Several bedrunners perhaps????
ReplyDeleteWeighted blankets are supposed to give you a better night's sleep. If you use Thermore polyester batting it won't add any weight to it.
ReplyDeleteYIKES! Is that because there was a muslin back for every block? I guess that's a good reason to use newspaper/phone book paper, hunh??
ReplyDeleteDone is still good!
What about if you just skip the batting and add a backing? It would still be a quilt (3 layers), and a war, one at that. So much work - and beauty - to give up on it (although I do understand the need to put quilts in Time Out occasionally)!
ReplyDeleteListen to Quilting Babcia, above! The weight is not that huge and it will be distributed over two bodies and a king size bed. Lay down and try it. Lightweight ply batting and a light backing, even a batiste or lawn will keep from adding a lot more weight. Last thought..tho I almost always make my bed with a quilt, I never sleep under a quilt, I fold the quilt each night and set it aside, sleeping instead under my cloudlike down comforter. Pls don't cut it up for boring lap quilts..
ReplyDeletelove
lizzy
I have several heavy quilts although I've never weighed them. They don't really seem heavy when sleeping. In fact we sometimes have two heavy quilts on the bed and get a great night's sleep. But our house is always pretty cool in the winter. I made a selvage log cabin quilt and my sister came to visit, slept under it and then insisted she should take it home with her because she slept so well. She did take it with her.
ReplyDeleteIf you used foundations I would finish the quilt without batting.
Oh, I hope you come up with a solution other than ripping it. I agree with Wanda - use a thin batting and it won't add any weight (or much).
ReplyDeleteThank you all for your sterling suggestions....Tom weighed our present king quilt which i made for us in 1999 and it weighs 4.5 lbs--
ReplyDeleteso--I won't be dismantling it after all ;)))
hugs, Julierose
Could you simply leave out the batting? And use a light-weight backing? It'd be a shame to reverse stitch it!!!
ReplyDeleteIt's a large calming blanket! No batting. lightweight back. Use perle cotton and stitch an X on each corner and center of each block. Sounds like a project to commandeer the help of everyone you know. That is my plan for my GIANT foundation pieced pineapple.
ReplyDeleteYikes! I'd say no batting. Maybe a fleece backing (to "muffle" the seams.) But don't abandon it!
ReplyDeleteI am so glad to learn you are not giving up on the quilt.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you decided to leave it, Julierose. I know when working on some quilts I think they are so very heavy, then when they're finished and on a bed it seems like the weight has been distributed across the bed and not all on me! (And I suppose, if you weigh your clothes, you would be surprised at how heavy a pair of jeans, a shirt, a sweatshirt weigh. Don't know what you wear....) It will be such a beautiful quilt when you're finished.
ReplyDeleteOh Julierose please don't take it all apart! Can you go with a lightweight batting or for use in the hot Summer months perhaps without batting and just a backing fabric?
ReplyDelete