RACE CANCELLED
instead:
One table runner
and
⇊⇊⇊⇊
Six placemats
My Race quilt came out wide at the top and
narrow at the bottom and the strips
were all bowed--
as you can see on the runner to be above!
Even though...
I was super careful not to STRETCH
the strips; it turned out to be
a disaster anyway!!
I will make the above instead...
And so it goes...
*************************
Here is the Fabric Journal challenge for
this month:
A fabric envelope
with a little fabric card
for Christmas.
I used teeny scraps to outline
the envelope and
an old button with a piece of
Sari Silk for a tie...
[click to read the greeting]
I really enjoyed making these...
So, I am done for this month--
as the next 2 prompts were
so similar to others that I
didn't want to do them...
Here is the envelope's
lining:
(my book, my choice, right?)
They were Christmas Scene
and Winter Scene.
Been there, done that...
****************************
The 2nd Honey Bun and Christmas
Scraps I have on hand are going
to be my "Christmas Web".
No more Race quilts with pre-cuts
for me!!
😒😖
Here is the start
AND
here is how far I've gotten as
of today:
The first web done
↧↧↧↧
I wasn't quite sure if I'd like
that old fashioned button fabric for
the kite shapes,
but I do like it with all
the Christmas fabrics...
Such a fun block to make up...
[I am using Missouri Star's Spider Web
papers to sew on..].
I am loving the strip and scrap
piecing...
and
Sometimes piecing
small bits together
to make long enough ones..
**********************
I've put on my Nurse's cap as Tom is
has been under the weather with a
bad tight cough and tight chest.
MD put him on anti0biotics, so we
hope they will clear him up...
Hugs, Julierose,
La Blageuse
(Stripping-euse)
Um, not really--😁






Use it up!! Scrappy is good!!
ReplyDeleteSo sorry that Tom is unwell, do hope he is much better soon. I've never done a jelly roll race. Pleased that you could rescue your strip, change your plan, and come up with a sucessful idea.
ReplyDeleteTurning the race quilt into a table runner and place mats is a great idea. Gotta make lemonade when given lemons, right? The fabric envelope is so cute, you did a great job with that prompt. I love the Christmas web block as well. I think the button fabric works perfect.
ReplyDeleteThe web blocks are really pretty. It will be a great use for the Christmas roll.
ReplyDeleteSince I am just dropping in, when you make a race quilt did you alternate the strips sewing up, then down? Because that is what keeps them from getting really out of whack, um I learned it the hard way. Love your scrap book page. Hope Tom gets to feeling better.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry to hear about your Race piece. I can see how it can come out wonky. I think it's a nice idea but lots of room for stretching. I hope Tom is feeling better. There are all sorts of weird viruses out there right now. My mom was sick earlier in the week. You did great on the challenge! I like the Christmas web too. Looks very nice!
ReplyDeleteSo sorry about the curves in the long strips. I read a post just the other day recommending beginning to sew at opposite ends when sewing long strips. No idea if that would help or not but next time it night be worth a try. I've never sewn long strips except for borders and bindings.
ReplyDeleteI like your Christmas envelope. Delightful!
I hope Tom is one the mend and feeling better.
You always seem to be stitching such interesting things. I need to use more creativity in my stitching. Sure hope Tom will feel better soon and you stay away from whatever it is he has. Be sure to stay hydrated!
ReplyDeleteVery curious what has happened with your race quilt. I’ve only ever made one but I had cut my own strips and rather controlled how it layed out. In any case, you figured another use for your time sewing the strips together. I love your unique Christmas card and envelope. And your Christmas Web quilt is exciting to see how it might look when you get it all finished.
ReplyDeleteHooray for Plan B for those contrary curving strips. Great decision on how to shift gears. Sending good wishes to Tom (and you).
ReplyDeleteI read the title and thought - OMG - they cancelled F1? Hahahahaha!
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear Tom is not feeling well. Let's hope the medicine does it's job and gets him feeling better quickly. Such a fun block you are making with that Christmas web! Have a good weekend.
I love how the web blocks turned out. What a fun quilt. I'm sorry your race was cancelled but you've come up with some good ideas for the pieces. The envelope is really pretty and what a fun idea.
ReplyDeleteGreat idea turn the wonk race strips into pretty table runner and placemates. The Fabric Journal is beautiful, and I like "Christmas Web" block. Hope Tom is feeling better. Hugs
ReplyDeleteBest thing you could do was to change to placemats I think. Your Christmas Web is going to be a beauty, just take your time. Hope Tom improves very soon.
ReplyDeleteHope your DH is feeling better.
ReplyDeleteRe the race strips - not that I've done such things in a quilt format but have for a few other projects - but I read that if you sew each strip in a different direction it's supposed to help with the wonkiness. I think you made a great decision to make smaller items.
Love the envelope and letter idea and I'm now anxious to see how the Missouri Spider Web takes shape...it looks like fun to make.
Good for you to turn the disappointing outcome to something positive right away! The journal entries are charming. The spiderwebs look very small -- 6"? 8"?
ReplyDeleteSending wishes for a full recovery to Tom.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on turning a problem into useful solutions. The placemats look lovely and now you'll have a bunch that work well together.