About Me

My photo
Shoreline, CT, United States
I would love for you to join me (a retired senior)in my zany crafting adventures with quilting (waaaaay too much fabric); scrapbooking (will I ever catch up?); redwork; counted cross stitch; crossword puzzles; reading; and cooking.

Sunday, February 5, 2023

GRANNY STRIPE AFGHAN PROJECT

I've begun crocheting a 
"Granny Stripe" afghan...
Using up all my leftover yarn from
my knitting days...

[It is interesting to note that in crochet
I hold the hook in the right hand and
the yarn in the left--
opposite of how I knit...
This has taken a bit of getting used to ;)))]


These are the colorways I am using...
all the yarns are from "Miss Babs" 
online shop...
such lovely yarns...
I have 3 big cakes (they will wind for you)
like this one:
It is called "Yowza" for a reason
hahaha;)))

I made a granny square afghan years ago
but this is slightly different:
{I saw this on Attic 24, Knitting Natty on YT
and various other YT videos...}

TO START--
I chained 199+3--

(phew!! that was quite 
a counting feat!)

at the start
 so this will be a 
big long afghan...

I've wanted to practice 
double crochet and this really
utilizes that stitch all throughout...

Most mornings I have my coffee, read
my blog comments and answer them; then
I crochet one l  o  n  g
row....it is very calming...
I figure this will take me at least one year
to finish....meanwhile, it has already
begun to warm my lap as I go ;)))

*****************************
Sunday's supper tonight
is an easy-peasy one:

[We have always called it a
"supper" on Sundays
rather than "dinner" for
some reason].

Tuna salad sandwiches on
toasted bakery rye bread with
lettuce along with
french fries and pickled beets.
Yummy-ness...😁😏

Note:
I use a pinch of dried mustard
and one of ginger to spice up
my tuna a bit-- along with:
a sprinkle of
chives, tarragon, basil
and dried onion flakes mixed
in my mayo...

What spices do you use in your
tuna salad?

I hope your Sunday is a restful
day for you...
Hugs, Julierose,
La Blageuse
(crocheting-euse)









 

13 comments:

  1. I am reading another Agatha Christie mystery: a Miss Marple this time,,,
    "At Bertram's Hotel"
    It amazes me how she came up with so many different mysteries....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tuna salad sounds delicious. I just use sweet pickle relish and mayo. I do the same with leftover salmon which has been baked with butter and dill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty afghan! I love the idea of a granny square row. Sometime I'll make one as I seem to have lots of kinds of yarn hangign around. Enjoy your dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bertram's Hotel is one of my favorites to watch with Joan Hickson. It has so many stories woven in together.
    I used to make afghans, such a soothing way to stitch. Once I started quilting I left my crocheting behind.
    I put sweet pickle, diced green onion, and regular mayo. Not very imaginative but thats the way I like it.
    I have a recipe for an open-faced sandwich that calls for chopped hard cooked eggs, grated cheese, and sliced green olives in the mixture and then you broil it in the oven to melt the cheese. It's pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Yowza" indeed! This granny square blanket is going to be lovely with all those yarns. It looks lovely and thick and cosy. Your supper does sound yum, though for me, in those climes of yours, I might be in need of a big bowl of hot soup to unfreeze me. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Raised on a farm in IL we always called the midday meal dinner and the night meal supper. Now everyone is trying to teach me to call the evening meal dinner and it just doesn't seem right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty afghan, looks so warm and cozy. Nothing more relaxing the way you describe your mornings, it's the same for me (not crocheting though :)) Your tuna salad sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun blanket project. So cozy. Your tuna salad sounds delish. I like to make a curried (mildly) tuna salad with mayo, a little curry powder, grapes cut in half, or diced apple, and pecans. Yum. My Mom and Grandma were from West Virginia and always said Sunday supper too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love crochet afghans, I like the stripes you're creating. Mum used to crochet cushions, pot holders and so on, I wish I had thought to ask her to teach me!! Sunday supper sounded delicious - we have tuna sandwiches with salad quite often.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty yarn! I find crocheting to be very soothing and relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't crocheted in years but I'm beginning to get the itch again...thanks, Julierose! My hubby makes the tuna salad and I honestly do not know what is in it...but, it delish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Granny Stripe is beautiful - I love the colours. I found it interesting that you hold the yarn for crochet the same way I do but that you hold your yarn opposite when you knit. I don't, so I wonder if you knit Continental? I taught myself to knit so I probably do it all wrong but at least I get the end result.
    Also interesting to note the 'supper' and 'dinner' item - for us it's 'supper' and it confuses me when people refer to 'dinner' because, coming from a farm, that was at 12 o'clock. As the years went by 'dinner' evolved into being 'lunch' for us. One more instance of the English language being so confusing - it's no wonder it's so difficult to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love crocheted afghans. So nice to put all those left over yarns to use! I haven't had tuna salad in ages! You're making me want to make some!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, glad you came to visit; please leave your comments, I love to read them.