I've hand quilted 3 blocks so far and
I am working on the 4th (top L).
I am mostly working on these when
I find myself inexplicably awake
at 3 in the morning!!
(hence the title).
********************
Here is a picture of how we put
our garden to bed
last Fall for
the winter
months...
and now that our garden guy has
come and dug it all out and seeded this
spot with grass and covered it with
straw...
Here is its state now--
We will be watering 2x/day until the grass appears...
He is due to return to finish off replanting the
strip along our garage that abuts the front
walkway...soon...
Meantime, one lone daffodil is
holding court there...
*********************
Last Monday.....
I opened this old jelly roll of
20 fabrics
and
😀😊
Here's what's happening!!
👀😉👀
These box-ey blocks are
really fun to sew
together...
I found 4 more jelly rolls that each have
42 strips and i will see if I can find
easy, fun patterns with minimal
cutting to use them up....
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
For those of you who asked
what's going on
With my "Dark Days"
K3N project..
????
Well it is up on my wall
as is...
And after
I watched this Wednesday's
K3N YouTube video I
gave one little star block
a try by hand...
and...
N O P E
it was a total mess...
SOooo, I decided to make my own
stars using Helga--and why not?
My poor hands just could not manage
doing all that...
disaster result--super wonky !!!
the other two are machined...
I am planning on making a few more
and will be watching next Wednesday
to see how K3N attaches them...
(if I end up doing that!!).
*******************
Very warm here this afternoon--66
and sunny--Tom filled our Garden planter
with stones and soil this afternoon
after he got his ok from the MD
this morning...
Now I am waiting for plants to
appear in our nursery--still a bit early
here on the southeastern
coastal area of CT...
I want to try tomatoes, lettuces
and a few herbs:
basil, tarragon and parsley...
We've placed it at the sunniest corner of
our back deck...One more layer of soil
will be added to give the plants
plenty of depth...
[Tomatoes: Brandywine, Sungold
Lettuce: Buttercrunch, Green Romaine]
I hope your weekend will be a good one...
hugs, Julierose
La Blageuse
(quilting-&-star-making-&boxes-euse)








Reading: "Date with Death" by Julia Chapman
ReplyDeleteset in Yorkshire...the Dales Detective Series (Bk 1)
Lovely post today with all the spring and garden. I like the stars a lot and think they look good with the other block you show. I've never heard of Brandywine tomatoes - what are they like? We always seem to get Early Girl because they are the quickest to produce and Better Boy because they are so good to bottle.
ReplyDeleteThe jelly roll blocks are very fun. I have been contemplating a simple block to just keep me at the machine without taking too much brain power - so much pollen in the air that my head is all clogged up. Your raised bed is lovely. We are talking about getting a few of those too but we are still a bit off from being able to plan outside.
ReplyDeleteI hope your grass grows well. You were a lot warmer today than we were.
ReplyDeleteThose blocks were a great use of a jelly roll.
Your lettuces can probably be planted now. We are still 5 weeks away from planting tomatoes.
I love the bright and cheerful box blocks from the jelly roll. I think the fabric colors do affect our moods. These are cheerful. Always fun to be ready to plant in spring after the winter. Have a great weekend.
ReplyDeleteOf course you know I am loving the blues. Wish I could pick up something like this when I'm wide awake in the middle of the night but turning the light on wakes the RC. If he's lucky enough to be sleeping I'd just as soon he stay that way....at least one of us is getting some sleep.
ReplyDeleteVery nice raised bed planter! I know you will enjoy having it UP and not having to kneel on the ground. Your blues is very pretty and I am with you on the stars. Do it YOUR WAY.
ReplyDeleteOh I want a full bed sized Blues in the Night. That is gorgeous, classic and traditional but modern too. I really love it.
ReplyDeleteLove the Jelly Roll Squares quilt too---and lovely stars for Dark Days. You've been so productive and creative, enjoying machine piecing again, I see.
Great Tom news and what a beautiful planter. I love your planting list. I'd like to grow lettuce and Tarragon this year---even a tomato.
Be wary of early planting, we may get a frost/ cold temps this week.
Thanks for such a inspiring post today.
love
lizzy
PS the wonky handpieced star will look fine once it's quilted!
I love your jelly roll project! Your hand quilting looks great too! We must be getting closer to warmer weather with your blooming daffodil and grass planting. It's cooler today but better than Winter!!
ReplyDeleteYour jelly roll blocks are fun and simple to stitch, and look great too. So pleased that Tom got a good report from the doctor.
ReplyDeleteSpring is springing! The raised planter will make it easy to snip just a few herbs when you're cooking. How satisfying it is to find some fabric (the jelly roll) that works up quickly.
ReplyDeleteThose are some pretty blues in the first quilt. Boxey blocks are a perfect project for a jelly roll. I look forward to watching your raised garden grow.
ReplyDeleteYour "Blues in the Night" is so beautiful; I have a lot of respect for hand quilting. Fantastic.
ReplyDeleteAnd I really like what you did with the jelly rolls, too.
I used two jelly rolls for my very first quilt... and bought some green fabric to go with it. (I've already featured it on the blog.) Now quilt number two is finished – made from fat quarter – and I'll feature it in the next post.
And now I'm working on the third... :-)))
You know, I'd love to rummage through your fabric stash with you and work on a quilt... do you think that would be fun? I think we'd have a lot of fun.
I hope you enjoy your sewing and gardening. It's cold here, but the sun is shining. April weather... May is the golden month.
Best from Viola.
Beautiful post
ReplyDeleteYour garden guy did a great job on converting the garden bed back to yard. Soon it will be all filled with grass. It made me smile hearing how you came up with the name for the lovely blue quilt. It is a great project to work on during those wee sleepless hours. Love that raised bed too! I hope you will post photos come planting time. Have a great week, Julierose. Hugs.
ReplyDeleteYour blue blocks look so great after hand quilting, Julierose. Yikes to being awake at 3 a.m.!
ReplyDeleteWill you miss your garden? Probably not the work, though?
Oh, your Ruby Star blocks are gorgeous!
I think your little disaster star looks good but I say, why not use a machine if your hands hurt?
I guess you didn't give up gardening completely, so that's good. I hope your plants love their new home on your back deck!