About Me

My photo
Shoreline, CT, United States
I would love for you to join me (a retired senior)in my zany crafting adventures with quilting (waaaaay too much fabric); scrapbooking (will I ever catch up?); redwork; counted cross stitch; crossword puzzles; reading; and cooking.

Monday, December 30, 2019

THIS, THAT AND THE OTHER

  "This":         TAH_DAH  : Swiss Crosses is all quilted....
                 And I love  💗💝💟 how it came out 
                                       now for borders....
                                         red, I think

***************************************************
"That":










Little South West Ojos
flimsey--



I love these
colorways...so
warm ;))))
                                           Flowery Ojos....

                              this one is more old-fashioned with those
                                         florals and smaller prints....

I love making these both on paper and on muslin
squares......
                    I can see more of them in 2020 using up scraps...

************************************
And the "Other":

An off-the-cuff way to use up 2.5" pre-cuts 
that I am swimming in...


      

                     The start of a long table runner with leftover precut B&W squares....
                                             for my dining room table....

*******************************************
This is what my design wall looks like this morning..BUT.......
But wait a minute..

What, you say?? And Where is Red/Pink??

Well, it is hanging in the "time out" closet until it decides to un-warp itself!!!!!!!

           (Evidently, It went through a "Black Worm Hole")

Evidently, (duh) someone cut the long strips unevenly and all the bias
edges decided to pull to one side...very skewed....at warp speed....
SOoooooooooo, break time.....
Enough already...S I G H 

[One bright sunbeam is that I DO like the Christmas Doggies}



                                        See what I mean?  
That is not just uneven pinning on the wall, it is out of "true" 

I will have to rip out every vertical seam and try to straighten out the
strips...and, to be honest, I am just not up for it...now....💁💩 💩(!!)

This has been nothing but trouble...woe and trouble...
and it is my OWN fault...
but I have learned something: I do know this but evidently
I don't practice it:
                         Trim everything EXACTLY-- FIRST (DUUUUUH) .  

No fudging on long strip sewing....

*********************************

I am really pushing myself to get back into my sewing room and
find my lost "joy" in sewing....

And: I need to pull out another piece that
is ready for quilting in the evenings...

Hugs, Julierose, La Blageuse (searching for mojo-euse)

15 comments:

  1. Yes! Those long strips are just wildly colorful enough to be perfect for the "Time-out" quilt! I've always had to pin every inch or so to get long strips to sew nicely. It's a pain but so necessary. I love where your other projects are heading, especially the long table runner that looks vaguely oriental in a wonderful way. The red string blocks - yummy! If only there were enough hours in the day to make something out of all my scraps, I'd probably never have to open the stash closet again, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that Christmas is over{last one yesterday} I can't wait to start something new!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there girl. You will find your sewing joy!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you say Swiss Crosses will get a border, do you mean the binding or will you somehow add a border still? I love that table runner, it's so interesting. As for naughty pink/ red: supposedly if one sews up and down, reversing dorections each seam long areas like this won't bow. I come from a clothing background and was taught not to pin, tho QB's advice is good. I measure the strips and mark top middle bottoms, either w a pencil or a pin and then make the strips fit. OR [and / or.] I start halfway and sew out to each end. I like the busy strips print!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think time out is a perfect place for that one for a little while! Red will be perfect to finish off your lovely little quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice finish, and your ojos are looking lovely. I hate when stuff goes wonky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For the red/pink - if you're willing to let the strips be a bit wonky, you can always add a wider strip on the outside edges and square the outer edge of that to get your straight sides. Maybe this one doesn't want to be perfectly straight and true . . . you'll find a solution, I'm sure of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable and unexpected Christmas Pups are SEW perfect for those indecisive red squares!! The wonky??? Maybe it will "quilt out." :o))

    ReplyDelete
  9. My, you have so many projects going at the same time. I wish. But mine get hung up and forgotten. I guess that's the time out zone.
    The print sashing on your red/pink works so well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hold the presses, keep the baby not the bathwater! Your pretty red piece is out of true but... it was all scraps and bias edges... that sometimes happens. Can it be washed gently as is, and laid out straight and flat to dry? Then quilted a lot? I wouldn't assume it needs resewing yet. What if it becomes a Valentine quilt with a few appliqued words or motifs? LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your Swiss Crosses! I like your idea for using 2.5" squares. And I relate to the skew issues. I recently finished a table runner that has what I like to call "tent openings" on the edges, all because I (or someone - hah!) didn't property sew pieces cut on the diagonal. I never noticed till I put it on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're making great progress! And sometimes a project just needs to have a time out doesn't it....I'm sure it will decide to play nicely afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This, That, and the Other are all looking good. But I particularly love This.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Swiss Crosses is beautiful. I am surprised that you quilted it before adding borders. That's a new idea to me!
    Both of your Ojos quilts look great. That's a great way to use up strings.
    Your black and white squares look very modern to my eye. It will be a stunning table runner.
    So sorry about having to rip out seams. It's awful when that happens!
    About finding the lost joy in sewing.... Having been away from my sewing machine for two weeks makes it hard to get back to sewing. I wouldn't say the joy is lost for me, but the motivation (and the inertia) are a challenge.
    All the best to you in the new year!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, glad you came to visit; please leave your comments, I love to read them.