Seeing as any rotary work
will be on hold for a while
until my shoulder blade
recovers (!!!)......
I began to set up an
applique basket
using a Jan Patek pattern
[from "Say It With Flowers"],
and
I am using some of her
latest fabrics...
The basket and the stem fabrics
are from my own older stashed fabrics.
&&&&
I have all the pattern pieces traced
(they show white in this picture
with the tentatively chosen
fabrics mocked up near them);
and I will hopefully set up
the flowers tomorrow;
leaving the leaves and Mr. Bird
[still not sure of what fabric for him]
until the next day...
I am thinking that instead of those
circle berries over on the left
facing stem, I may do
little yo-yos instead...
I love how vintage they look...
and perhaps a bit of darker orange
for a couple of them to pick
up that stripe in my basket fabric..
*****************************
I am really new to applique and was going to try
to do needleturn once more, but
chickened out 😵🙈
and instead--
I am preparing
my pieces before I applique them...
I hope this mid-week finds you all well,
Hugs, Julierose
La blageuse
(pondering-euse)

Those fabrics are going to look so nice. I've only used the fusible applique' method but love to learn needle turn one day...
ReplyDeleteThis looks great. Anything with Jan Patek's name attached to it has my attention. Sorry your shoulder blade is bothering you. Who ever said quilting doesn't give you physical exercise? It's hard work.
ReplyDeletegoing to be beautiful!
ReplyDeleteLooking pretty so far. Bummer on the sore shoulder but you managed to find a fun fabric project to work on.
ReplyDeleteI love this project! Your wonderful soft colors are so perfect.
ReplyDeleteSo are you doing fused raw edge or are you doing all fold in prep [glue? starch?] then hand sewing. I swear I am getting on the ferry and coming over someday to teach you to needle turn, lol lol. So relaxing and fun.
Tiny yoyo berries will be adorable.
You make the prettiest things always.
love
lizzy
It's always exciting to start a new project, this pretty one should keep you happy and occupied for a while!
ReplyDeleteOh this is going to be a lovely piece! The basket shape is very organic, I have to say I envy you the hand appliqe, and looking forward seeing your flowers.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry you have an 'ouch' going on - take care of yourself so it mends quickly. Your little 'clumps' of fabrics look similar to what I have going on right now too.
ReplyDeleteI have yet to try applique. I like the fabric you chose for the basket. I am looking forward to watching your progress. So sorry that you are hurting. Take care.
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear about your shoulder. Hope that you can stay comfortable with your applique which looks fabulous! xx
ReplyDeleteGreat fabric choices.
ReplyDeleteI love Jan's designs and I notice her latest fabric line have some purples that are very pretty. I can only do applique with the freezer paper/cardboard...needleturn just doesn't work for my fingers. That basket looks great...good luck with it and don't aggravate your shoulder.
ReplyDeleteI love seeing applique on a quilt to break up all the geometrics of the design. I really need to do some. LOL
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to see how this turns out! You're using such great fabrics. I always feel applique is a nice break from piecing.
ReplyDeleteHope your shoulder mends quickly. Nice project
ReplyDeleteFeel better soon! Have fun with the applique. I have an applique block set up to work on even though I can't do any sewing room work yet.
ReplyDeleteAny way you applique is good. Whatever works best for you is best.
ReplyDeletehope your shoulder is better.
This looks like a nice new challenge! Hope your shoulder is improving.
ReplyDelete