About Me

My photo
Shoreline, CT, United States
I would love for you to join me (a retired senior)in my zany crafting adventures with quilting (waaaaay too much fabric); scrapbooking (will I ever catch up?); redwork; counted cross stitch; crossword puzzles; reading; and cooking.

Saturday, September 24, 2022

NUTCRACKER AND MUSHROOMS

 
My finished Nutcracker Lady

[I think this looks like a child's drawing!!
But I am just calling it Primitive hahaha]
πŸ‘ΆπŸ˜ŠπŸ˜
After all the tiny hand sewing on
this one, I decided to keep the
rest of this page simple. 
I had to keep on resting
my hands after I dealt
with such tiny pieces...
;000

These second sets of prompts, I feel,
were very challenging this month.

I wondered if I could even attempt them..
I am hoping that next month's will be
a bit easier...

**********************

Here is the base for my
Winter Mushrooms that
I finished pinning 
this morning...
↓↓↓↓↓
I have to thank my good blogger
friend Lizzy at
[Gone2thebeach.blogspot.com]
for her research on
Winter Mushrooms...

And
for also 
GIVING ME 
this mushroom fabric 
--{πŸ’ love love!!πŸ’ }--
which I unearthed
from my "special" fabrics
stash.

At first, I thought I wouldn't be
able to use it in my Winter
low volume Fabric Journal..
because...
it was originally a bright orange--

Soooo----
I tea dyed four strips
to achieve this (hopefully) 
wintry, muted  feel to
the colors...
I love how they came out..

The bottom laces are from
an old fabric edging--
and are meant to be 
the "snowy landscape"
where my mushrooms grow...

Here is a little info on this type of
mushroom...from 
"My Growing Traditions" blog:
(and thanks to Lizzy's researching)

[click to read]

and so, my little page was born...

It needs to be basted in place and then
I will have plenty of room 
for further embroidering..

*************************
We are experiencing much cooler
mornings--low 40's--now.
Beautiful sun-filled days and
cool nights..

Autumn has definitely arrived here...
And a few leaves are starting their
annual Fall color parade..

***********************
We are so looking forward 
to this Sunday,
when my daughter and my
eldest grandson, Steven, 
will be coming for a visit.

We will be watching The
Patriots and having a bbq.

Tom will bbq burgers for us
and
I am making my 
German potato Salad 
and
Candice is bringing a 
Caprese Salad.

We haven't seen Steven in 
almost 1 and 1/2 years...
so it should be great to
catch up...

Enjoy this lovely time of year...

Hugs, Julierose, La Blageuse
[still-working-from-stash-euse]






16 comments:

  1. Do any of you have a "scrap plan"? I am trying to come up with one besides putting like-colored scraps in baggies...I would love to hear how you maintain your sanity as scraps mount up and up and up!! Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I could do a nutcracker. Yours is cute, not scary which I think is nice.
    Enjoy your family time. I just saw 2 of my grandchildren on Labor day for the first time in 3 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun post. Your nutcracker looks terrific. He's so cheerful. The mushrooms are a nice touch and I enjoyed all the extra info on them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute blocks. I don't do color coding my scraps. Just by size.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely stitching on your nutcracker, she's delightful! As for scrap plans... I sort by colour, into lots of little baskets. And, as I'm sewing I chuck small leftovers into a big basket under my sewing table, it's overflowing at the moment so that "plan" hasn't worked out so well LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your Nutcracker lady is adorable! She was a lot of tiny stitching! The mushrooms are fun, too - I didn't know they grew in winter either. Have a wonderful day with your daughter and grandson! My scraps are organized in plastic see-through shoe boxes by color - they're stackable so fit on my shelf in the sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry not to have been reading blogs Julierose, but back into action again and enjoying reading this post. First up your delightful Nutcracker Lady and I think the word Primitive is ideal, I love this little figure. I love mushrooms and toadstool, just not to eat but to see and admire, your wee mushrooms on the page here are perfect, especially with the addition of your lace. Enjoy the visit from your daughter and grandson and the bbq, which sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an excellent rendition for the winter mushrooms prompt - it's perfect (and hooray for tea dyeing). The laces make for lovely snowflakes - well done. Enjoy your weekend - and the cooler temps (it is still in the upper 90s here so I am ready for cooler weather).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute nutcracker and mushroom blocks. You nailed it

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've seen those mushrooms before but never realized they were winter mushrooms. Good to know! Enjoy the game and the cookout! So cold in the morning! It seems Fall got here very early this year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So nice to have a shared dinner with family/friends you havent seen for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think we need to again point out that mushrooms do NOT grow in wintery snow, but are a folk motif in German and Slavic traditions.

    Wonderful post I ll come bac after Mo walkies and lv a real comment.

    love

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  13. That nutcracker is stunning, Julierose. You are obviously having a great time with these pages. Hope you had a nice family visit and bbq.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your nutcracker and mushrooms look great!

    Almost all mushrooms here are winter mushrooms. They start in late autumn, and finish in spring as the weather warms up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think your nutcracker lady is great (despite nutcrackers giving me the creeps).
    I was interested in reading the blurb about those mushrooms. I've seen them in Christmas decorations but didn't know the story.
    Enjoy your family time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your family dinner sounds delightful, hope all went well as it was a bit of a grey day?

    Great idea to tea dye the overly bright mushroom fabric and your page is a delight.

    Nutcracker Lady is darling, you captured the look and shape so perfectly .These prompts really speak to your creative muse, don't they.

    love

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete

Hello, glad you came to visit; please leave your comments, I love to read them.