About Me

My photo
Shoreline, CT, United States
I would love for you to join me (a retired senior)in my zany crafting adventures with quilting (waaaaay too much fabric); scrapbooking (will I ever catch up?); redwork; counted cross stitch; crossword puzzles; reading; and cooking.

Tuesday, September 19, 2023

SCRAPPY "WINGED STRINGS", et al

 

Since I've been away from sewing,
I've been sorting by color what is
left in my stash...

AND at the same time--
haunting Youtube,
watching sewing
videos...
for some inspiration...

I saw a gorgeous block on 
Beth's "My Sewing Room"
YOUTUBE video tutorial
and I knew I just had to 
try one:

But first things first--
I have to confess that I've never been
really good a squaring up 1/2 square
triangles...nope--just could not get my head
around the ruler--
😕😖😗
Yesterday I finally, finally
[gosh, after ALL these years]
figured it out and decided to use my 
blues-ey scraps to make this block.

Here it is laid out ready to be sewn
I must admit it took me a while to
figure out that layout--went
back and forth from Beth's video
for sure...;)))

And
TAH-DAH
Here it is together:
I really L💙VE it!!

Thank you Beth for the great
inspiration and tutorial
💙😇
Here is a photo of her block:
So pretty...

I am calling mine
 "Winged Strings"
I will be making a few more
S  L  O  W  L  Y....
*************************
It is such a beautiful, sunny day
today; I plan to sit outside and
read and relax...

Tonight will be bbq'ed cheeseburgers,
on toasted bread, with
tater tots [and broccoli for me].

Fall is just around the corner--
time to take out my 
Autumn table toppers
and such...
I was hoping to have Autumn Stars
quilted and ready to hang--but it will
have to wait until next year...

hugs, Julierose,
La blageuse
(Stringing-along-euse)






 

10 comments:

  1. Finishing up "Red Bones" by Ann Cleeves....great book...hope to get started on
    "The Mist" by Ragnar Jonasson this weekend...
    [Ordered "Tom Lake"--Nan--thanks] ;)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful block!

    I use graph pronted mylar [Joanns] and draw out my blocks to be squared or trimmed usually. Then I mark the cutting lines w a Fixion pen and hand cut Laborious but works and i'm not ina hurry.... Esp good for HST and Geese components. Rulers and I are not friends, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't you do well,the block turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I do like this block!!! This really calls for scraps, I'd love to make a quilt using this block pattern, looking forward to seeing yours come together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great block for using up scraps. You did a great job, Julierose. And Winged Strings is the perfect name for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great block! It's a great use of your fabric stash. I just love this weather. I love the dry air. I hope it lasts awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also really love your winged string block, Julierose. What a great job you did with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Figuring out squaring up for HST will be a game changer! I love your block It's a fun twist on a plain string block.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful block! We watched the F1 race this morning with Aidan's subscription. Quite an exciting race. Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great block! I've missed Beth's blog posts and I'm not good at watching tutorials. I encourage you to look up the Quilt in a Day Triangle Square Up Ruler. I'm sure there are other brands but this is the one I have used for years and years, and thousands and thousands of HSTs. It comes in 6.5" and 9.5" -- I have the smaller one. It transformed my HST-making.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, glad you came to visit; please leave your comments, I love to read them.