I have been fascinated by the Kawandi pieces I've seen online and on YouTube
for a long while now and I have been watching all the videos I can find....
I finally found "Marion's World"
on YouTube
where she gives her Tips and Techniques
for your first Kawandi...
(btw "Kawandi" is the word for quilt--
so if you say Kawandi quilt.
you are really saying
"quilt quilt"😂)
anywaaaaay....that being said...
I would love to make a lap sized Kawandi for myself,
but first--(for a change)
I decided to make a little
"test/trial" piece to see if I do like
the process before setting up a bigger piece.
[I know, this is new territory for me with
test pieces, huh?😏]
so I took this lovely leftover piece
from my stash---
and, because it is so soft,
and therefor, easier to
needle through,
I decided to use it for
the backing.
Here is my Kawandi project so far--
after that first and
only semi-difficult round.....
so scrappy and fun...
;)))))
I wanted to use mostly blue fabrics and
cut offs from
my scrappy
stash;
and the lining (white in the center)
is an old, thin damask table napkin
that my Mom had
--originally there were 12,
but sadly--
I have no idea what
happened to the others...
It is so soft and also perfect for
needling through.
As the original makers do, I added the
"Phuldas" = or flowers,
to the four corners
on my first round.
that the Siddi consider the Kawandi
tobe "naked"
without the addition of the Phuldas...
I think they are so cute;)))
Please go and watch
"Marion's World Kawandi"
video for her easy and well-taught
instructions to see her method
which I am using...
Another fun project
on-the-go...
💙💚💛💜😄
*********************************
And her is a treat for you....
Look at my iris:
Aren't they just beautiful?
And...
they smell like grapes....
Aaaaaaah...
I hope you are enjoying your Saturday;
our weather couldn't be more perfect:
low humidity and in the 70's
perfect deck weather....
Hugs, Julierose
La Blageuse
(Kawandi-trial-euse-ing)






Not much time to be reading, but so far
ReplyDelete"The Girl in the Moss" is pretty good...
aaaah - blues...my fave! I haven't heard the term Kawandi so will have to consult with Mr. Google to find out more.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful iris! I look forward to seeing your progress on your Kawandi. I've never heard of it before but find it interesting! I love your fabric choices too!
ReplyDeleteI have seen this fascinating folk art textile craft--I don t dare be redundant and call it a quilt. I must read up on it and will be better informed to comment. It does look like something you'd enjoy.
ReplyDeleteYour iris are so beautiful!
Your Kawandi is looking great. After making a small one I can’t imagine making a bed size one. So good to try a new technique.
ReplyDeleteThis is going to be such a fun project to watch you work on Julierose. Gorgeous blue fabrics that you are working with. Your irises are spectacular. I bet the do smell heavenly.
ReplyDeleteI have seen the Kawandi examples on blogs and they look so soft and beautiful. I think choosing the fabrics would be fun but I couldn't do that much hand stitching. I hope you enjoy the making.
ReplyDeleteYour Iris blooms are so pretty.
When someone posts about Kawandi I think, "I need to try that!" and then another squirrel distracts me. Is it hard to think "outside to inside"? I love iris. Ours are about done. Peonies are the star now.
ReplyDelete