About Me

My photo
Shoreline, CT, United States
I would love for you to join me (a retired senior)in my zany crafting adventures with quilting (waaaaay too much fabric); scrapbooking (will I ever catch up?); redwork; counted cross stitch; crossword puzzles; reading; and cooking.

Monday, January 6, 2025

WIPS OVERLOAD, et al

 

I pulled out all my little pieced tops
this morning--I have some 
32-- 
yes, 
THIRTY-TWO!!--
In various stages of finishing...
YIKES!!!
πŸ‘€πŸ˜’πŸ˜•πŸ‘€
and 
All these above,
on the ironing board, 
are at least sewn together..
not orphan blocks...

[I haven't even counted those or
corralled them even....]

I am so overwhelmed--
πŸ‘ΉπŸ‘½πŸ’€

but this is just 
STEP ONE..

and ↶↶↶↶
Not counting these two which I have
unpinned and set aside for now.
{Why not start a NEW
WIP pile, right???}

WHAT????
Really????

These are just pinned up ↨↨↨
Willy-Nilly as they are in
the same colorways...
******************************
I left the room shortly after
doing this bit....

I have sort of put them in 
these categories:

1. Finished except for backing 
and layering pile;

2. Just possible pairings tops
{separated all the greens
for instance}
3. Strip sets begun from 2.5" 
jelly rolls

And
that is as far as I have gotten...

 this was my cutting space↡↡↡↡↭↭↭↭
πŸ‘ΊπŸ‘ΉπŸ‘Ώ
 *****************************

Later.....
I did sew these
into one big,  long
strip for a table runner--
so that is one decision made 
;)))))
And, of course, another WIP is born....
S  I  G  H....

I had planned on sewing a lot of these starts
together in one big kahuna piece--
or two maybe--
but they really are just all so different!!

If I can steal our living room floor for 
a while, I may lay them all out 
and take a picture...
that may help?????

In the meantime, in between time,
I NEED a cuppa my 
Yorkshire Gold Tea 
to calm my spinning mind
down...

stay tuned.....
Hugs, Julierose
La Blageuse
(opening-a-new-can-of-worms-euse)

*** Added note: at 1 p.m.

I cannot work up any enthusiasm for
finishing any of these right now...
Most are hanging back up--but at
least in organized piles...
there was a reason why 
I stopped work on these....
;(((((
I need a snappy nap!!
;)))))

*****Note Two --Added
at 6:30 p,m,
after a great dinner
(sauteed shrimp and rice) and
a Manhattan--courtesy of Tom 
;)))))

I have gotten over the "shock and awe" hahaha
of seeing all those WIPS in a pile now...
AND
I have chosen 3 to work on right now:
L: Strawberries runner: choose backing;
Middle: Improv mess to puzzle out;
R Large Ojos runner: choose borders and backing...

I love working on runners and quilting them seems
so easy for me...so I thought two easy--
and one puzzler...
;)))))

















17 comments:

  1. Tea time, and a bit of calming reading --still on
    "The Shell House Detectives" by Emylia Hall

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what is more stressful---too many unfinishes or like me, a need to complete things before starting the next---and hating evry moment. Please do not sew the WIPs into a big top you cannot handle safely.

    And if you destash, would you consider trading some string blocks for my 2025-26 project? TQC design. I'd trade fabric/ patterns/ books/ ephemera, whatever you'd like.

    Snowy here, delicate but steady. Mo had a fun walkies w Monday dogwalker. Stay warm, be so careful, it may get icy later or tomorrow.

    I'll email a pic of the string quilt, maybe you'll be inspired too; I know you sometimes donate tops when you do make a big quilt.

    love
    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lot of WIPs! Enjoy your tea, and remember quilting is fun;).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh. My. It's no wonder you're feeling overwhelmed!!! Hmmm - perhaps you could set yourself a goal to finish one per month and that would whittle them down quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't stress - quilting is supposed to be fun. Now that you've had a good look at everything they will settle into the back of your mind for your to ponder. I have no doubt that slowly but surely each will emerge on its way to completion. A little bit here and there and it's amazing how much you will get done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gulp... WIPs... guilty as charged. It is daunting to take a good hard look at all of them, isn't it? But even though you were not inspired to get right at the pile, you made an excellent start by categorizing them and getting "reacquainted". Willy Nilly would make a great quilt title for one in which you put lots of varied pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You crack me up! So many projects are overwhelming. I'm in that boat right now, but think I'll just start something new. Not sure what yet, but new is appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm all about WIPS overload. I got 'em. I love 'em. It's fun to find something you haven't worked on for a while and fall back in love with it. It's also fun to start a new project now and then. I have the scraps. My habit is not hurting anyone. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in WIPs overload, too. I needed to clear my sewing table completely, so I can quilt 3 tops that are long overdue gifts. I decided I should look through the boxes instead of just moving them. Oh, boy. What a revelation. I didn't count them.
    And there are many more projects in plastic scrapbook bins and smaller containers with RSC blocks needing assembly. The good news is that I started the quilting on one of the baby quilts, so at least that's some progress.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  10. WIPs overload! You are as good , or bad as me! LOL Maybe start with the small and easy quilts and finish them before you 'attack' bigger quilts? I feel the same way; overwhelming! All the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All those WIPs can definitely be overwhelming! I think you should just pick one of them and work on it for awhile. I love your scrappy strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Try to take it easy! Work on them a little bit at a time. Choose the ones that appeal to you. Could you put 2 runners together (front and back) and kill 2 birds with 1 stone??? Just thinking out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh boy, am I so pleased that I'm not alone with a large collection of tops waiting in line to be quilted plus a few unfinished. I do like the ones you've shown us here but can understand the first update where you had backed off, then of course after a lovely meal rethought. I read the blog post from https://quiltdivajulie.blogspot.com/2025/01/looking-ahead.html yesterday and she has put together an impressive list of goals for the coming year, think I may try her approach to my projects. Looking forward to seeing your progress with pieces on the design wall.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope you can get from overwhelmed to just plain whelmed. Have you considered making a spare parts quilt that incorporates a bunch of the WIPs?

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have conquered the beast.....for the time being. Enjoy finishing the 2 table runners. Maybe ideas will flow for the other project as you keep busy. I know the feeling of not wanting to work on some of the older projects, I have two I have avoided but really need to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, I'm glad to see you have your sewing mojo cranking up again. I understand about being overwhelmed, as I just went through all of my cross stitch projects. Quilts are next...geesh!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love what you call your "improv mess," most especially those flowers across the center!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, glad you came to visit; please leave your comments, I love to read them.