About Me

My photo
Shoreline, CT, United States
I would love for you to join me (a retired senior)in my zany crafting adventures with quilting (waaaaay too much fabric); scrapbooking (will I ever catch up?); redwork; counted cross stitch; crossword puzzles; reading; and cooking.

Sunday, May 18, 2025

STITCHING "DARK DAYS"-- MAY & JUNE, et al

 

Above is one of my favorite stitching books;

As you can see by the date--I've had this
one for a long time:))) 

It is my "go-to" for great instructions
to learn new stitches
and also
inspiration...
  
I bought this as, at the time, I was
making a lot of Crazy Quilts and
hand embellishing them...so it
was my "dictionary"--so-to-speak--
for stitches...
*************************
With  my "Ellie-Phant" block for
Dark Days coming up this week,
I have been researching what kind
of stitches I'd like to use for
filling her in...

I am planning on filling in her body with mainly
this chain stitch, which I know how to do
and
below....
 is a variation on the chain stitch that I'd
like to use to decorate various little parts
on her. This is a new stitch for me...
  

We shall see if this works and looks good.  
(Hopefully I won't have to be cutting out
stitches as I did with my Fish block!!)

I think Ellie should be a shade of 
blue/aqua(?) with 
lavender (or purple)
and gold threads..
Again, I will have to see how that
would look...

All part of the learning process 
for this SAL
from K3N {on YT} 
which she calls 
"Coverlet of Comfort"...
************************
My other question is-- should I make this
into a big coverlet, or just sew various
sections (monthly blocks) together???

May is the 5th prompt
and 
June's 6th prompt will be
joined with May's to fit along the 
last central block's side...

[you can see in this photo that this is the
only side where no new blocks have been 
added to the center.  It is really a
long side.
 K3N decided that just adding a 
really long strip wouldn't look that good--so the 3
block solution is what she recommends..]
↨↨↨↨

the three sewn together will span the 
right hand side above...
[if that makes any sense??
the Fish (10")--top
 and Elie-phant--bottom (10")
then
the center area TBD]. 

Here is "Ellie-Phant" now


and this photo below is the type of
filling I'd like to do

This is from a previous YT video of 
K3N's.

My drawing is considerably smaller so I will
have to take that into consideration...
πŸ˜•πŸ˜”
***********************

We are having an avalanche 
of pollen here
and fighting allergies--

I am hoping the predicted rains 
for Wed-Thur
will wash the last of it away!!
πŸ‘ΎπŸ‘ΊπŸ‘Ή

Hugs, Julierose
La Blageuse
(researching-euse)








13 comments:

  1. Still haven't found any book that I'd like to read...so re-reading some old Agatha Christie's...Do any of you re-read favorite books?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful! I think I had that book, I so wanted to make an embellished crazy quilt, but neve r had the time. [and hate to embroider, hahaha]. Your work is lovely. Usually I say not to make a big quilt, bec it's too heavy and difficlt for you, but since thiis piece is completely pre quilted, maybe?
    Do you still have any of your crazy quilts from 30 years ago still?

    love
    lizzy

    PS Pollen--pines will bloom here soon, all that pollen. Not allergic, but what a mess, I wiped yellow dust off my windows the other day, more to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Books: I do reread books and book series. My brother was just saying he is rereading Lee Child's Jack Reacher books and we were remembering how much our mom loved Reacher. I tried to reread Donna Leon's Inspector Brunetti series, that I read during covid lockdown, but no. Worth a try tho? Set in Venice? Her few stand alones are good too, often music related, opera, symphony, might appeal. Or Daniel Silva's Gabriel Leon books. The ones recently now that Allon has retired are less violent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look like 2 good stitches for the elephant. I have never done that chain variation either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This project is above my skillset and my level of creativity but it sure is fun to follow you along. I absolutely re-read favorite books. I'm planning to spend the summer re-reading books by Dorothea Benton Frank. They are easy and entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would vote for smaller sections made into wall hangings rather than one huge quilt. That lets the parts be more easily explored and not overwhelmed by the entirety of the project (also less difficult to finish/fold/move/etc. as it will be heavy).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have that book too and use it often. Looking forward to seeing what stitches you add to your ellie-font!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen Elegant Stitches and almost bought it a few times but never did. It seems to be a great resource. I'm enjoying watching your progress on this project. I'm sure the elephant will look great. The upcoming storm sounds pretty bad but it will definitely clean the air of that nasty pollen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some of our old books are the best, aren't they? They almost become friends.
    Ellie will look grand with your proposed stitches! It sounds like your color idea will work but, as you say, you'll want to decide after seeing the colors together.
    I hope the rains washed away the pollen. Allergies are bad here this year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, for sure -- Ellie will look wonderful all stitched in. Re-reading? There are SO many books new and old that I want to read!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eliie- Phant is an adorable block. I look forward to seeing her all filled in with lovely stitches. That looks like a wonderful resource book. I like that the graphics are big and detailed. I wish you a lovely weekend, Julierose. Happy Stitching. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a cute elephant and chain stitch would work well for coverage. So funny you mention a crazy quilt as I shared my very first quilt, a crazy quilt, this week, sewn back in the seventies! I love to read about the plans, Julierose.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don’t have this book but might see if the library has it. I tend to do the same stitches over and over. Maybe you can wait and see if you want a bigger comfort cloth? It might be a nice way to recall this crazy year with some beauty. I am not a rereader. Have you read Thursday Murder Club?

    ReplyDelete

Hello, glad you came to visit; please leave your comments, I love to read them.