About Me

My photo
Shoreline, CT, United States
I would love for you to join me (a retired senior)in my zany crafting adventures with quilting (waaaaay too much fabric); scrapbooking (will I ever catch up?); redwork; counted cross stitch; crossword puzzles; reading; and cooking.

Saturday, October 4, 2025

SATURDAY SEWING, et al

Helga is set up with her walking foot...
(finally!! I think I have
mentioned before 
how I don't like how 
you have to attach this...) 

And so I took out my last year's
Easter quiltlet and
began to machine quilt....

I did all the sashings first 

That took about 1  and 1/2 hours of slow 
stitching... (with breaks).
I used my machine's 
"Fix" button to begin and end each row--
so no back stitching needed;)))
I cannot believe it took me so many years
to even find this feature!! 

[And, yes, I did read and re-read 
my booklet....
But evidently missed this one!!]

Here is the back with the wonderful
Easter Eggs fabric and two leftover 
pieces of  KF fabrics 
that just seemed to
"go with" them...;)))

I hope tomorrow to quilt the squares 
diagonally...

I referred to my favorite machine
quilting book 
for those of us who
do not do free-motion quilting: I
could never get the hang of free motioning.

I can only do short stints as my shoulders
and shoulder blades complain mightily even
though I do  try to sit as close as I can--
Perhaps I tense up????
(that is the extent of my sewing for today....)
******************
On Hiwmhi (Home is where my heart is)
the first 4 pages are all basted and
mostly done--i may add a few more little
bits and bob though--ya think???;)))
😁😀😂😃😄

So now, I am thinking about an Ocean page
as we have always lived close to the Sea...

Thinking of some kind of little landscape
I am reviewing Magpie's Mumblings"
beautiful landscape art as well as 
searching throughout 
Youtube for inspiration..

I made one little landscape piece
"yonks" ago for a close friend who had
sent my a postcard from South Africa
to commemorate her trip...
this will be  quite the challenge...

**********************
Here for those of you who asked--
are the first little pieces of Winter Rye
poking up in my little planter box....
Can you spot them?????
↴↶↷↴
We've been watering each day to keep them moistened as 
S I G H --still no rain in sight here...

I hope you are having a wonderful weekend
Hugs, Julierose
La blageuse
(working-on-UFO's-euse)









 

17 comments:

  1. Reading "The Way Through the Woods", by
    Colin Dexter (Inspector Morse series Bk 1)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope Helga doesn't complain too much about wearing that walking foot. That's weird... I thought I was the only one that doesn't like to put that thing on the machine. It's not hard. It's just an extra step. Keep on walkin'...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My walking foot doesn't always fit into place easily either, goodness knows why. And it took me years to realise that my machine could do the Serpentine stitch. I have that same book, and think it is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL I had to giggle, Julierose when you said you just found your "Fix " button on your machine. I just discovered mine recently too from watching a Youtuber. Learn something new everyday. I love this sweet quilt and your back is just as cute as the front. An ocean page would be perfect for your Home is Where My Heart Is. I look forward to seeing it. Have a fabulous weekend. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Helga sounds like a tough ol' dear. =) That is such a pretty quilt. The colour of the sashings is pretty. Argh.... machine quilting quilts is a beast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I should use my walking foot more often too, but it's also rather a pain to put on the machine. Half the time I forget I even have it.
    No rain here until maybe Tuesday but even then it's not supposed to be very much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find it difficult to attach my walking foot too. You think they would have made it easier. Your quilt is coming out great! I hope you're enjoying this great weather!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The fix button is a great one on the Viking. Hmmm. My walking foot snaps in easily on my machine. I wonder what the difference is between them. Yes, my shoulder tense up when machine quilting as well. After every two lines, I tend to stretch my arms and roll my neck and lift and lower my shoulders to help. Enjoy your Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. More likely than not you are tensing up (in addition to ongoing shoulder issues already in place). Try to breathe deeply and often and keep your body as soft as possible. Took me eons to get that part! As to walking foot on domestic machine, yes. Free motioning on a domestic machine was never a good thing for me. Only because I have Max can I do what I do now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have that book but have not used it much - I don't like the walking foot it is hard to put on my machine although after fussing with it a bit I can usually get it done but it is a pain to do as my machine doesn't have a large throat area

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Easter Egg quilt has such pretty, soft colors! Sending you good thoughts about the quilting - my shoulders tense up, too, when I'm quilting. I wonder if I have a button like that on my Pfaff...will have to check that out - it sounds helpful! Have a wonderful Sunday, Julierose!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Helga was keeping secrets!! We could all use a Fix button I think. You've been diligent. Thanks for the book title- I need to take a look at that one. Love how your fabric memory book is coming along.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I miss the IDF (integrated dual feed = built in walking foot) on my dearly departed Pfaff. The Janome walking foot took some getting used to. Your project is coming along nicely. We need rain here, too -- it's SO dry.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Easter quilt is pretty. Glad to see Helga working her magic. I'm going to search my Janome to see if I have a FIX button...hmmm. Hope your shoulders feel better soon so you can finish the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Goodness I hate FMQ. Jacquie Gering was my salvation. The walking foot always takes some finagling and coaxing. I have to talk gently to my Elna - come on you can do this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how you just keep doing what you can, taking a break as needed, not letting your aches and pains stop you. I’m with you on hating to attach the walking foot! I have that book, too, but I usually just do the same couple of quilting patterns and that’s good enough for me. Whether it’s FMQ or walking foot, I do t get out of my basic stitches often and usually regret when I do. That’s okay. I spend my efforts elsewhere in my projects and I own that about myself now. So if FMQ isnt for you, keep walking!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, glad you came to visit; please leave your comments, I love to read them.