About Me

My photo
Shoreline, CT, United States
I would love for you to join me (a retired senior)in my zany crafting adventures with quilting (waaaaay too much fabric); scrapbooking (will I ever catch up?); redwork; counted cross stitch; crossword puzzles; reading; and cooking.

Thursday, September 4, 2014

LIBERATED WOMEN

"I am done and airing out on the line--it feels so good to stretch out in the
 breeze " (Quilt Quote ;--)))

this quilt was totally hand sewn except for the binding application--which I did on my Helga...I took an online class from Jude Hill at Spirit Cloth; all the fabrics are pre-washed and hand torn--not cut.  I stamped these little ladies--oh pardonnez-moi--women(LOL) and then appliqued their flower hats and leaves.

And you can see I hand tied this with bamboo/cotton crochet thread and left the ties long....

I like all my women, but this one is a favorite...peeking out....

Here is the back--more fabric I couldn't seem to cut into..
Even though it is called modern--I felt that it looked antique ...

The raw edge applique and strip sewing is done to make this look old and tattered
and I L O V E this look in a quilt. 
I have to tell you that this class of Jude's was fabulous--no deadlines, work at your own pace, lots of examples and videos and superb explanations...I would highly recommend her classes....thanks so much Jude ...

And so, with my little teapot label (oops, sorry, don't know how to rotate it)  I end my first adventure with a torn, strip, woven by hand quilt.  But it will not be my last.  It was fun and freeing...
Hugs, Julierose, La blageuse....another one D O N E --WHEE!!!

15 comments:

  1. I also think the backing fabric looks antique. A beautiful piece of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen--I couldn't cut into it--such a large print--I didn't want to lose its impact...hugs, Julierose

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Oh thanks! i owe it all to that class ! It uses up a whole lot of fabric, too, leaving me more room for ...oops, aren't I on a fabric diet lol hugs, Julierose

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on a fantastic finish!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Ellen for your kind comment. Phew-this one took a while; I'll enjoy its warmth this Winter..hugs, Julierose

      Delete
  4. You are so right about Jude and her work . . . LOVE your quilt finish!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much Julie; Jude is an amazing talent. hugs, Julierose

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh--it's just so charming--I could spend hours checking out all the details! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks Karen--I really enjoyed myself making this one. Funny how sometimes something just hits you and you fly with it...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your quilt. The low density colors and the pretty pictures make it really interesting.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your comment, Terri--I am so happy that I was able to finish it! I really cannot see anymore all hand worked ones in my future..it was very relaxing--it's taken 2 years to finish and get it together as well as time learning the process ..great fun hugs, Julierose

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. thank you for your kind comment, Angie--I am already using it as it got cooler here and windy--yay!! I was so energized after my first yoga session that I couldn't fall asleep--so put Wonder Woman over me and stretched out on sofa and--voila!--sleepytime gal...hugs, Julierose

      Delete
  9. Wow! Love this quilt! It really has a great vintage look. That backing fabric is perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, glad you came to visit; please leave your comments, I love to read them.