About Me

My photo
Shoreline, CT, United States
I would love for you to join me (a retired senior)in my zany crafting adventures with quilting (waaaaay too much fabric); scrapbooking (will I ever catch up?); redwork; counted cross stitch; crossword puzzles; reading; and cooking.

Thursday, November 13, 2014

GEORGIE'S OFF THE WALL

And here he is all layered up and ready for pin basting--["And about time, too!" grumble grumble--] He was stretching this way and that and I had to smooth him out quite a few times--why doesn't that surprise me?  My back is done for the day after crawling around on the floor to lay this out.  Right now it is up on my dining table on my blocking mat (originally used to block my knitted sweaters) where I hope to begin pin basting tomorrow.  

And now, Pride of Place on my design wall is my Sleigh Bells Ring WIP.



It's coming along--I finished another block this morning after dealing with "the grumbler" [and you KNOW who that is!! lol]. 

 As I look at this, I am thinking that I will be making it a whole lot bigger than I first thought--I am really enjoying putting these together.

 (Dawn, you should be spotting some of your fabric in these blocks--they fit right in--merci beaucoup mon amie!)

 One thing I learned is that my feed dogs on Helga are Waaaay too far apart when the plastic 1/4" footsie is on; really, only one feed dog is pulling the material through and therefore: pulling to the left.  Aaaargh. 

 I have upped the presser foot pressure a bit to try to compensate for this, but it is still a battle of "feed dog vs. Julierose"!!  But am doing the best I can with what I have (meanwhile the metal 1/4" foot is somewhere on the Atlantic Ocean being rowed over by Viking longboat, I think--I ordered it Oct 6th!!  I hope they don't drop it overboard!  Seriously--how could it take this LONG??).

Anyone have any suggestions how to overcome this problem or dealt with it??

                                         H E L P!!

I may have to resurrect my old Pfaff Varimatic and give it another chance.  I had it overhauled at my LQS and it started jamming [something about the timing he said!]about one week after--and I was minus $85!!).
Maybe resting under my cutting table made Heidi (that's the Pfaff) re-think jamming on me??? Like DH says put it away for a while and then take it out again and see....a good weekend project for me. 

I also sewed up some more squares to make triple 9-patches this morning...
will try to get some cutting in tomorrow--but will have to do them a little at a time.... 
We have been invited to lunch with some musician friends of ours tomorrow, so hopefully DH will be feeling well enough to go.  

Hugs to you all --and come and see my latest work on Monet's City at Hexagon Alley .  
Julierose, La Blageuse 




21 comments:

  1. Georgie is looking great. Also lovin you sleighbells quilt blocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Siouxzq! (love that handle--suzique): I am trudging forward despite that 1/4" thing...ugh!! hugs, Julierose

      Delete
  2. Georgie needs to learn to be patient he can't be first all the time! I have a Viking with a metal 1/4 foot and it works well so hopefully yours will arrive soon. It seems like you have been waiting way to long though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See below my answer to Colleen...;-))) hugs, Julierose (there's life in the old gal yet!!)

      Delete
  3. Just hopped over to see your Monet hexies and it looks great. Love the colour. Pleased to hear that George is all ready to go even though you are left with a sore back, but he too is looking good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for your vote of confidence in my Monet piece...I am basting hexies every evenng....hugs, Julierose

      Delete
  4. Georgie is coming along nicely. and I think I hear sleigh bells ringing . I see a few old friends too. LOL love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Dawn, ("...jing-jing-jingling along..." I just love those mini charm packs they have now just a wee 2.5" all precut and not too many $$ either hugs, Julierose (la "Save-euse") lol.

      Delete
  5. Both projects look wonderful! Hate it when my machine doesn't cooperate! Hope it all gets resolved soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too...but with Winter storms coming my Viking better not get blown further off course!! hugs, Julierose

      Delete
  6. Your comment about the Viking longboat made me laugh. I'm just picturing a Viking, with your foot in is hand, and his horned hat on his head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have that same picture: long locks flowing in the ocean breeze, blowing his horn, wearing his metal horned helmet (and big and blonde and his torso glistening.......oops wrong dream hahaha)--and HOPEFULLY holding onto my foot tightly....there had better not be any ocean storms in sight...huh??? Hugs, Julierose

      Delete
  7. Georgie is lookin' good, love the Sleighbells. Red, green, white and an occasional blue is a pleasant surprise. I love your color choices!

    On the subject of the 1/4" ... try setting your needle to one side and measure out the new spot to use as a reference. Mark the spot with painter's tape. (Don't forget to change to a larger holed throat plate... Know how I know that one?) Hope it works for you.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Terri--I won't ask you how you found out if you promise not to ask me similar questions lol hugs, Julierose

      Delete
  8. Hope you both are staying warm out there in CT. I guess winter is here. We had snow and wind here in WA today. (Furniture comes tomorrow!)
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's nothing worse than a temperamental sewing machine. It sounds like the repairman needs to take another look! I hope your 1/4 inch foot arrives soon--is there a tracking number you can check?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen--no tracking no. as the US shipper has not even received it they tell me! I am just breezing along here trying to ignore my "precise seam" monitor alarm that keeps ringing inside! So, what should be easy isn't and is keeping me from trying any angled block pieces as I think it will be even worse. And so it goes....hugs, Julierose

      Delete
  10. Love George glad you shut him up. Following your other blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can see why the Sleighbells quilt will grow...tis the season ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. hooray for George! cute christmas top!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, glad you came to visit; please leave your comments, I love to read them.