About Me

My photo
Shoreline, CT, United States
I would love for you to join me (a retired senior)in my zany crafting adventures with quilting (waaaaay too much fabric); scrapbooking (will I ever catch up?); redwork; counted cross stitch; crossword puzzles; reading; and cooking.

Thursday, April 7, 2016

Memories of :MON ONCLE

                                                            My Uncle Julian

Uncle Julian (also known affectionately as "Nev" (his last name was "Nevins"), my mother's only brother, was also my Godfather....
he was named after his Grand-mere "Julie" as was I.

He served in the South Pacific in WW2 as an Army Cook--I was only about 1 1/2 yrs old when I first met him after he arrived home;
his uniform totally scared me...I remember his picking me up and my being very afraid of this tall"stranger" with his "funny clothes"....funny the things you remember....

Every morning when I was really une petite fille, Mama would invite me into the big double bed and Papa would serve us Cafe au Lait (mine, in my special little blue cup) and she would read me Uncle Julian's letters from the South Pacific en Francaise as I spoke only French until
 I was 7 yrs old.

She would say "Julie, dites-moi:

O--KI--NOW---A    and  I--WO JI--MA"  places where he had been sent....

I wanted to preserve this memory in "My Life and Times" album....I glued
all those little background ticket pieces in place and then sewed through them.
I saw this effect on Jen Schow's video...and knew it was perfect for his picture
in uniform...this was a very time consuming process, but I like the result a lot...

I hope you are warm and cozy inside on this rain swept afternoon..
hugs, Julierose, La Blageuse ( et la scrapeuse aussi)




8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tribute to your uncle! It may be time consuming, but the results are so worth it! Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet boy soldier face & sweet way to remember him.
    Did your uncle survive the war?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful story there, thank you for sharing it with us and your memories on this page will last for ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a sweet story and lovely memory page!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a nice way to spend a rainy day......walking down memory lane sweet page

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great story about your uncle. You should write the story down so it can be shared with the family for posterity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet memories and a lovely way to preserve them

    ReplyDelete

Hello, glad you came to visit; please leave your comments, I love to read them.