Here is my first blue block of three......................
You know, you learn something with each project you make....
isn't that the truth??;)))
I can see that I have very FEW low volume fabrics in my scraps and in my
stash...Most are mid values or darkish or vibrant. Do you find that you always
gravitate to the same tones, or types of fabrics? I am trying to do a
stash inventory to actually SEE and KNOW (duh!!) what I have on hand....
I mean pinks are lightish to begin with...
but as I look at this on my wall 👀 👀 👀------
I see VERY FEW fabrics that are widely spaced and have white or off white
backgrounds... and my shelves are groaning with similar tonal fabrics...
[I don't count Black and White-- as they kind of stand out to my eyes]
Is it that I am just drawn to vibrant colors? I keep saying that I
want to make a low volume piece...with the palest of tints....
I have very few plaids and just one little bundle of polka dots--I've never
used them...they are shoved WAY way back in the precut box....
Do you actively try to make your stash varied?
this quilting gal wants to know ;)))))
*********************************
The 3 green/mauve-ish blocks have used up all my precut 3.5" squares...
This morning I die cut a few more solid greens and some more
pinky triangles..
[Now,ladies,---- "which one is not like the others? hahaha]
I guess I will be making TWO pieces (ya think?)....
No way is that beige block going to play well with the first 3...
at least not for me...
The beiges will be set with my pre-cut batik triangles...
They will be "Autumn Snowballs".....
***************************************
And I am die cutting 1.5" squares from leftovers of these two
projects for a postage piece in the future...keeping busy....
We are in the AC today--BECAUSE it is so MUGGY!! again!!
hugs, Julierose, La blageuse (wondering-euse)



Love those legos! My stash is mostly color on color, not many prints, and all brights. I, too, do not have many lights, and have wanted to make the Depression Block quilt where the darks are surrounded by lights. I'm making the butterflies for fun... most of them so far are from scraps, but to get more color in it all I'll be cutting from yardage. I have 91 blocks so far and I've started to square them up.
ReplyDeleteIt's 75 outside, if I keep the doors and windows closed we may be able to keep the 65 indoors... no A/C here.
Hugs
I initially had a stash of almost all blenders. That was very limiting. I gradually learned how to incorporate some of the KF large scale prints (although I am happiest using them as very small pieces or full out as backings). I also added polka dots, stripes, and plaids as well as text prints of all sorts - makes for much more texturally interesting quilts - not to mention more fun for me working with a wider variety of fabrics. Use your tonal prints but also consider cutting them into 10.5" squares to make scrappy backs in order to move some of them out of the stash (making room for more "fun" prints).
ReplyDeleteStash inventory? That will be a trip down memory lane for you. Then you will probably need to go shopping!
ReplyDeleteMy stash is full of colors and prints. No low volumes. But i also have some solids that i have a hard time using as i think of them as modern. I am more a scrappy use it up kinda gal not any one particular style.
ReplyDeleteI have lots of pinks and blues in my stash. I do love those colors. I have not much low volume either. I actually make a point of buying them every so often. I found a fat quarter bundle of 8 tone on tone very light fabrics. I love them and they come in so handy!
ReplyDeleteI have lots of medium to dark colors. I am trying to add lights.
ReplyDeleteI never used to buy the light fabrics.When I started doing the Bonnie Hunter mystery quilts I had real problems with what she calls "neutrals" because I just didn't have any. I didn't think the quilt shops even sold those fabrics, because I would just walk past them without noticing. I gradually became aware that all my fabrics were mediums. I have now built up a stash of those light fabrics. I did try buying dark fabrics too, for contrast, but that was harder because they really don't appeal to me.
ReplyDeleteI too am a vibrant girl...….LOL
ReplyDeleteI had medium and dark colors earlier, but lately I have bought white and offwhite fabrics. :-)
ReplyDeleteMost of my fabrics are brights too, and medium. I had to make a special effort to get the low ovlume fabrics because I really like the look of them too.
ReplyDeleteI enjoy your snowballs and love the freehand cutting. Keep it up.
ReplyDeleteLegos are a great way to use up scraps. They look good together.
My stash is filled with brights and mediums. I (pretty much) have to FORCE myself to purchase lights or darks. It makes a nice excuse for a shopping trip when planning that NEXT quilt!
ReplyDelete