I folded my entire collection of: Blues (R) and Aquas (L)--not that many, huh?
They were in a bin and I thought I had tons...who knew?? I am
also finding that they are almost ALL dense prints..and on the dark side...
This below↡↡↡ is why I am doing the re-folding:
See--- what I mean?
I cannot find anything-- anytime-- anyway-- anyhow!!
YIKES and I don't really know what I have on hand...
SO.......................
I am taking on Julie's (click) method....
I am re-folding them over a 6 x 24" ruler so that they
fit my shelving unit...
(at least anything that isn't a scrap)
Today I am tackling yellows and oranges...
Enough with the stuffing of fabric into bins...
I need to SEE what I have and what I need!
Already I can see that I buy the exact same types of fabrics all
the time... **S I G H **
THEN, of course I have to decide what color grouping each
fabric belongs in...
which is much more difficult than it sounds............
especially since all my prints are practically all multi-colored...
I have tried to really go with the backgrounds
as the color family to put them in....
We'll see how that works...
So, no more sewing (as I have boxes, bins & baskets scattered on
every surface in my sewing space...) until the re-fold-a-thon
has been finished...
After the entire shebang is done I will make a list of what I need to
enhance my collection...
********************************
After Saturday morning fol-a-thon
Some progress has been made...
My room is a total shambles:
The floor of my stash closet...
And:
Well, I need say no more...that will be all I can do for today...
!!P H E W!!
I have a ton of "Novelty" prints and I am thinking--
will they need a stack of their own?
And should ALL batiks go into a separate pile and/or
then by color?
these are the day's burning questions.....;000
[This doesn't even include those chunky, uneven leftovers -- but
**WHOA NELLIE*
one thing at a time...foldable pieces for now...]
Any suggestions? Out there? Anyone??
Hugs, Julierose La blageuse (in & out of the closet-euse lol)





You are making great progress. I wish my fabric was out of bins, boxes, and totes so I could see it all but my sewing space is much too small. I tend to buy the same types and shades of fabrics too. That can't be all bad, at least we're consistent.
ReplyDeleteYou are doing well with your folding but I'm getting a headache just thinking about my own stash. It's all over the place!
ReplyDeleteI dont usually have many novelties but they are all in one area. Batiks are seperate. And by color.again i dont have many. Solids are by themselves too. My small scraps smaller than a fat quarter get cut into 2.5 strips, 5 inch sq, 3.5,2.5,2 and 1.5 sq each in their own container ready to sew as that is what i use. Then a container of strings and when it gets full time to sew them up
ReplyDeleteI try to keep my fabric sorted by colour, but like you I have many that I just can't decide which colour they are! So I end up with boxes of "unclassifiable" fabric, which is no help at all.
ReplyDeleteHappy folding! It will be beautiful when you are finished.
Personally, I enjoy a mess. ;-0
ReplyDeletelizzy
It’s satisfying to get your fabrics sorted and have an idea of what you have and need. There is always a huge mess before the finale. I’m wondering what you will do with the squares you cut a couple of posts back.
ReplyDeleteIsn't it a great feeling to get fabrics organized and neat? I know they don't stay that way forever but there's a certain energy and inspiration that sometimes comes from being able to see all of them at the same time without having to dig. I can't offer any help with organizing other than by color (though I do have novelties and very large flower prints in two separate stacks).
ReplyDeleteI do keep the obvious novelties in a separate stack. Otherwise, I sort solids, batiks, and prints together so that I don't neglect to use one over the other. I sort by COLOR and not type (except for the novelties which I use very few of). As far as the stuff that is not foldable, grab some boxes or bins and toss them in by ROYGBIV without worrying about light or dark. You'll do a second sort on those once the yardage is under control (and you have plenty of time to think about it between now and then). GOOD FOR YOU for tackling the stash!!!
ReplyDeletePS The link doesn t go tot he folding magic instructions? Just the general blog.
ReplyDeletelizzy
I need to clean up my sewing area, too. Or you could come over and do it since you have such a fabulous system. ;-)
ReplyDeleteIt is a never ending struggle to keep the fabric organized and easy to reach.
I used to store my fabric like that, and it would look nice and then I'd get in there and dig. So I opted to fold mine around comic boards and shelve them. I use so much more of my fabric now, because I can see all of it. No more pieces getting wedged and lost between two others. I arrange them by color; however, batiks get a spot of their own, as do novelty (which I don't have much of. Those odd pieces, like those cut from quilt backings and whatnot, I am still working on using those up. I have them in a bin. Half yard pieces are still folded and shelved. Fat quarters and pre-cuts are in a 4-drawer dresser in my quilt room. Two drawers are fat quarters, mostly, another drawer pre-cuts, the last drawer batting bits.
ReplyDeleteI know the feeling when it's better to take a day (or more--lol!) and straighten things up rather than to try to accomplish anything in a jumbled sewing room. Have fun petting your fabrics!
ReplyDeletegood luck , mine looks like your before picture
ReplyDeleteYou have nice of lots fabric! It takes me forever to clean up my stash. And when I do clean it up, I can't find anything!! Go figure!
ReplyDeletelooking good...keep it up...when i go thru my stash like that, anything smaller than a FQ goes into the scrap basket...
ReplyDeleteWhen you are done at your house, come and visit me...
ReplyDeleteHugs
such a big job, I once paid my daughter to do it for me! lol
ReplyDeletetheres some great fabrics in there.
Oh you are going to LOVE how your space feels when you are through and YES give novelties their own stack. You'll be glad you did!
ReplyDelete