About Me

My photo
Shoreline, CT, United States
I would love for you to join me (a retired senior)in my zany crafting adventures with quilting (waaaaay too much fabric); scrapbooking (will I ever catch up?); redwork; counted cross stitch; crossword puzzles; reading; and cooking.

Wednesday, June 5, 2019

HEXAGONIA, et al

  I have made twelve of these :    ROSETTES........

and have used up all the leftover Christmas fabric in that line...
with just two additions of leftover reds....









Here are the two reds 

















And four more....














I am planning on appliqueing them to Holiday themed background squares.....
the trick being to FIND a fabric that will pull them all together....

I thought B&W text immediately, but didn't like how it looked--so 
am searching my stash .....

Stay tuned for the final selection......;)))
**********************************************
I am now doing a Star A Day with some precuts....(I have so many mini charms, charms, 
jelly rolls, layercakes--WHAT was I thinking.???
..well, I am trying to use them up....)

                                                          
 A Closer look at these STARS:
             

And:

I had previously  pre-cut all the central squares from a bigger landscape fabric
 and set up my  wonky stars with those gilded triangles...
so now I will set to sewing them together..

                       Here is my little tub of pieces at the ready;)))
                                           and no rotary work required for these
                            I can trim up the flippy corners with my scissors, Lizzy (;}}})
********************************************************
And finally, here are my Desert Dreams Ojos ready to be sewn together...
no more usable pieces to string....only little bits--
which will go into some small improv pieces I am
working on....

I have kept the centers, this time, all in the same color family: yellows and golds; and 
pinks and maroons...I like this look--Again this may (hopefully) set with a solid
(gold or rose) fabric squares will become  a long, narrow table runner.....I love 
those and have made Christmas ones  for my daughter and DIL....
*****************************************************
                                               >>>>>S I G H I N G  H E R E>>>>

My heavy work with rotary cutters is going to have to end.  Really and 
truly............
Too many nights with aching shoulders , wrists and hands....
SO..........................
I am going to switch over to scissor work as much as I can...
and using my Go BAby dies
 and ripping...

and in that scheme of things, 
I want to try my hand at some improv work...

I have been re-reading Sherri Lynne Wood's "The Improv Handbook for Modern Quilts"
And although, for the most part, none of my quilts have been what is termed
 "modern", 
I will attempt to utilize her methods for some smaller pieces 
(I know all her stuff is really big, but maybe 
I can come up with some  smaller pieces?? ).  
And that is where I stand right now....

hugs, Julierose La Blageuse  (shifting-euse)


10 comments:

  1. Beautiful piecing on your hexagons! Sherri Lynne's book is full of 'recipes' and inspiration, enough to keep anyone busy for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute little "star a days". Is this your own idea or are you taking part in a sewing challenge? Making one a day is a good idea, think how many you will have in a week, and a month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all those projects. The go will help you cut
    Cant wait to see all 3 of these. They are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great projects. Love your string blocks, but then your wonky stars are fabulous too. Do you cut a lot at one time? I only cut a little bit at a time then get up and sew. I can't seem to stick with anything long enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All your projects are great. I am so charmed by the tiny stars! You have a wonderful sense of color.

    As for the painful rotary cutting...I am new to using a rotary cutter but a new sharp blade often $$$$$$, less layers, less pressure helps cut down on pain. And---pretty much any sewing/ quilting can be done w scissors. I ve been sewing since I was six years old and never used a rotary cutter til this year. I still only use it to square blocks up. Look into Kai scissors w serrated blade [micro serrated.], lovely.

    love

    lizzy

    ps how about a soft grey for the hexagon rosettes?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't had much experience with hexagons. Does it get faster with practice?

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you are thinking quilting again. I'd try a plain Christmas red with the hexis. Love your stars. I love how you make the centers fussy cut. The Ojos are just plain Yummy! The coloring is fab.
    Sorry about the rotary troubles. I have trouble at the cutting table with my back. I just do a little at a time, and take (arthritis strength) Tylenol. Blue Emu Oil helps, too.
    Hugs
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry about your rotary pains. I get them, too, if I cut too much at a time or do too much repetition with my right shoulder, elbow or hand. I have to pace myself and medicate with Tylenol and Advil when inflamed. I have some emu oil (like Terri, above) for my elbow that works really well, which amazes me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. pretty stars and hexies! sorry to hear about your pains :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many lovely colours in this post. The Desert Dream Ojos were already a favourite but now I also love those stars. What a great idea to use the indigo fabrics as a background, they have a perfect sky feel to them.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, glad you came to visit; please leave your comments, I love to read them.