When I began pinning and
basting I realized two things
Very quickly!!!!
No. 1:
This is too big for me to handle,,,,
Now What?????
Hmmmmm....
So with my πin my mouth...
I peeled back the 2nd 3rd layer
of fabric above the bottom
and cut the backing--
So I will be working on this bottom third first...
and then when I join the overlaps from the middle 3rd
so much easier to handle..
.
And, as you can see, it has changed
yet again in the process...!!!
Since this is all things I love
about and around my home,
I added mushrooms....
teacups, and buttons...
which you can see in the 1st shot above...
AND...
a little house Fairy π
See her here>>>>
Now, if she would just come and clean house for me!!!!
ππππ
*****************
I also have learned--
No. 2:
That using an old sheet
(one that is part poly!!)
is NOT a good
idea;
it is not stable and is
quite slippery!!!!
;((((((
So,
I will replace the
last two backings
with muslin....
And....
Thank goodness for phone
cameras as I have taken
shots to see the placement of the
sections...as I will be
unpinning and putting them on
the muslin....
You never stop learning.....
Hugs, Julierose
La Blageuse
(Basting-euse)





With my heart in my mouth, I cut off that bottom piece!! Talk about trauma!!! ;)))
ReplyDeleteI think I neglected to send my first comment Ugh! I love the way old sheets feel next to the skin but they are difficult to hand stitch through so I don't blame you for making the change. It is such a shame. Love the mushrooms.
ReplyDeleteI love how this is coming along. I'm glad you figured out how to make it work for you. I think it's going to come out great!
ReplyDeleteThat's good that you figured that out now at the beginning. Working in thirds sounds like a good plan.
ReplyDeleteOh, another project of yours I love! It's kind of like a kawandi quilt only a lot more fun. I've been thinking I want to make a sort of collage/kawandi quilt similar to this but use floral fabrics of flowers I have in my cottage garden kind of arranged like I have them in my garden and then add some embroidery and applique and broderie perse of insects, butterflies, birds. I think you have inspired me. I was going to use a damask tablecloth I picked up at the thrift store long ago. That's what I used as foundation for my rose kawandi and it was so easy to stitch through that. I didn't use batting. Well, anyway, I think you have inspired me to get moving on that! Gardening season is almost over and it will be a fun winter project if I can get my booty in gear!
ReplyDeleteI was going to suggest adding another layer of something cotton (or muslin as you're doing) to the back to make it less slippery. I've learned that lesson too although I have to admit that if I'm doing a lot of machine quilting on a piece I appreciate the 'slippery' of poly on the back so it moves easier on the machine.
ReplyDeleteps - I love the 'shrooms!
Such a pretty, eclectic collage!
ReplyDelete