As I stepped out on our back deck this
early morning, as I do most mornings
to check on the "feel" of the day,
I was treated to this early light
illuminating the cloud tatters
in the East....
I decided since I had removed the
last of the tomato plants this
past week, to plant
my Winter Rye seeds
In our other house, before we moved here,
I had an in-ground garden right outside
our back door where I spent many
wonderful hours puttering around.
One year, at the suggestion from the
old farmer where I got my "chicken" hay
for mulch, I planted a crop of Winter Rye...
It so enriched my soil when turned over
and under the next spring that I had
a beautiful bounty of vegetables and flowers.
*********************
As I turned to the North and viewed
our surrounding bit of forest,
I was treated to the first "turning" of
our maple tree in amongst the oaks
and ashes:
Just that little hint of red and some oranges
and some indefinable coloration --
heralding the advent of Autumn here...
Only 59 degrees out there this morning, but the
fresh air still held a bit of warmth.
It will be a lovely day, I think...
😊
💚💛💜
****************************
Inside, I placed my little tribute to October
on my October Ojos table runner
on our living room cocktail table
↓↓↓↓
By the early morning light
it glowed.....
↴↴↴↴
And....
I took out my Snowball quilt and laid it
over my Grand-mere's old caned rocker--
the oranges repeating those in
my Ojos...
Autumn has come both inside
and outside here
at the house on the Hill....
Hugs for a wonderful weekend ahead
enjoying these last few days of
Summer's warmth...
Hugs, Julierose,
La Blageuse
(sipping-my-coffee-and wool-gathering-euse)






Still hand stitching on "Sunrise, Sunset"--slowly, slowly.....
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful post,Julierose. I so enjoyed reading your words and the lovely photos to go with them. Ojos and Snowballs, both beauties!
ReplyDeleteAutumn looks like it is coming in beautifully in your neck of the woods! I have not heard about planting that winter rye in your garden - maybe I should try it though. It's fun to get out fall quilts, isn't it? Yours are beautiful!
ReplyDeleteI love it when the trees start to turn colors - we were at 59 this morning also - I like your fall quilt and that ceramic pumpkin
ReplyDeleteYou have lots of autumn color in your post. Summer wasn't kind to us with low rain totals in many parts of the country. I hope we have some rainy periods in this autumn.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely lyrical post. So meditative and thoughtful. Your quilts beautifully capture the season. When he rye grass grows, I hope you ll show us what it looks like
ReplyDeleteHere, just maybe a hundred miles south [or less] it is very sunny and summery. Mo and i will make the best of every summer day.
love
lizzy
I miss the autumn changing of the colors so much. Wishing you a great weekend.
ReplyDeleteYour home looks beautiful all decorated for fall. Your Ojos and Snowballs look so inviting. It was nice and cool this morning but certainly has warmed up. Still, it’s a nice day in New England!
ReplyDeleteOld farmers have all the best tips. Your little bit of forest must be glorious in fall with all those burnished colours. Your home looks cosy all decked out for October. Two gorgeous quilts. I particularly love the pretty on the table; the colours are just beautiful. I'm a bit pea green over your Grand-mere's old caned rocker. It's fabulous!
ReplyDeleteThat's a wonderful tip about planting the rye in the fall and using it for fertilizer. I've seen farmers do it in their fields but never thought of it being useful in a garden.
ReplyDeleteYou have pretty fall colours going on in your house with your projects on display. My only nod to fall decor is changing out the four landscapes I have hanging on my sewing room walls to reflect the season.
What a lovely post, Julie.
ReplyDeleteWhat lovely sights! I do so enjoy watching how light plays in the sky and with the objects around me. Happy Autumn to you!
ReplyDeleteYour October Ojos with the ceramic pumpkin make a very pretty vignette. It's been in the 80's here (western NY), but it got down to 46 last night. It's forecast to go down to 38 on Wed, so it's time to think about bringing in some of the plants.
ReplyDeletePat
Your home, inside and out, is looking very warm and cozy. I love the pumpkin on the Ojos quilt.
ReplyDeleteYour morning photo of the sky and clouds is beautiful. At first I thought the cloud looked like a fish or two. Clouds are amazing.
ReplyDeleteWhen you plant rye like that, isn't it called a cover crop in the farming world. I know there are certain plants that enhance the soil. Rye must be one of them.
It's early for the leaves to turn--at least here in central Ohio, but maybe it's not in Connecticut. I'm looking forward to the colors!
Your October table is so fun. Gorgeous Snowball quilt!
How lovely to see autumn arrive. We think the air is cooler here but it would be high summer to most folks.
ReplyDelete