About Me

My photo
Shoreline, CT, United States
I would love for you to join me (a retired senior)in my zany crafting adventures with quilting (waaaaay too much fabric); scrapbooking (will I ever catch up?); redwork; counted cross stitch; crossword puzzles; reading; and cooking.

Sunday, May 24, 2020

GARDEN STUFF

                       Thom planted this little maple up in our front yard from
             where it was lost behind my big rock and was
                  crowding out my rosebush...

It should add some lovely color looking out from our tv room...

Oh and see that big green thing--our water company is re-doing all the piping system 
in our area and they store their stuff on our cul- de-sac until their work is done....
[some view huh??]
************************************

My white iris peeked out this morning and I can see my purple ones are
just about ready to come out...
and you can just see the edge of my
low growing azalea's pink blooms...
here is the full bush⇊⇊⇊⇊
                              such a pretty soft pink...

                     This deep black/purple iris stands as a lonely sentinel in our front rock
                     garden in front of our patio seating area just by our front doorway....
                           Still wrapped up tightly.....
and lastly:
                     My one peony bush, transplanted from our old house,
                        waves its tightly closed buds in the chilly winds 
                          by our big rock.
                              This whole area has a lot of ledges, 
                                   some underground and some
                                    that have thrust up to the surface
                                       like this one...
                                          For some reason I love rocks...

         They do make a lovely backdrop for my daffodils in the early Spring and 
                the peony and my wild rose bush in the Summertime...

*****************************************************
Unfortunately we are overrun with poison ivy and poison oak in this area....
Thom has just gotten over a really bad case--so we are a bit hesitant to
go digging around too much...not to mention our "backs" which now
complain a lot...

Since we've moved here (gosh now has it been 11 years?  ;0000)
I haven't done a whole lot of planting or gardening...I want to add some
containers to house  annuals this year...
If the garden centers ever open up).

I saved marigold seeds from last year's
crop and am going to plant two containers of them this week...
and some culinary herbs ----back permitting...

I hope you had a sunny day and were able to get outside....
gardening is so good for the soul....
~ ~ ~ waving my memorial day flag 

Julierose, La Blageuse (dreaming of gardening-euse)

17 comments:

  1. My goodness a quilt maker and you are a master gardener too! It was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such pretty plants and flowers around your house. My husband does all the landscaping and gardening. He enjoys it and is much better with plants than me. It works out for us!

    ReplyDelete

  3. Your garden and flowers are beautiful! Be sure to show us the black iris when it blooms. I love rocks and boulders and ledges in a yard---adds structure and natural texture.
    I hope your marigold pots do well. I just ordered a few more packets since I had not saved as much as I thought...or haven't found them yet.

    love

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your flowers are so pretty and more to come soon. I'm so happy it is blooming season again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny story about marigolds. My Mom prior to 1989 planted some in a planter my Dad made. She passed in 1989 and my Dad would take the flower heads and spread the seed in the planter. It would winter over and they would grow again so each year he did that. He still has those marigolds my Mom planted many years ago.your gardens are lovely. Watch out for that poison ivy.its nasty. My gardens were lost to it last year

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Memorial Day to you as well. Poison ivy and poison oak are no fun, so do take care. I miss the peonies I used to have in my yard; they were destroyed when we redid some of the landscaping. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been meaning to tell you how much I like those scrappy baskets you have on the go.
    I love seeing gardens stuff. A maple tree is always a nice addition. And you have lots of pretty things for blooms. We have poison ivy in little clumps here. Tony usually goes about once a summer and destroys as much as he can with a special blow torch thingie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm looking forward to a visit to the garden center also!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My white irises bloomed beautifully but they are gone now. I really like azaleas and mine are still blooming. Yours are pretty. Our garden centers have been open all along but I have tried to avoid them. I do need to go today though because I don't want to miss the planting season.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such pretty flowers you have popping up. Love a nice peony - their smell is amazing. I used to be lucky and poison ivy never bothered me... have not been around it lately to 'test it out' again though! Good luck with the container gardening - I think it is easier that way. I just picked more green beans...need to can them now! The salad lunch with cherry tomato's from my container, cuke from a friends garden and a scallion from mine was so yummy. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. down here each color blooms separately, strange isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like your garden is going to be great! I just planted some dogwoods this afternoon and I am praying the deer don't eat them like they have everything else I plant. We have poison ivy along the paths where I walk my dog. I am so worried that it will transfer from the dog to me--I'm highly allergic. Such a scary plant!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your new tree is a perfect addition (even with the 'interesting' backdrop!). So sorry about the poisonous things though - not fun. I don't suppose you could borrow a goat from someone? They're supposed to eat it off (altho' I don't know that from experience!).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your maple tree will be to look at it as it grows. Your flowers are thriving. I love azaleas. We had so many big bushes when I was growin up in south Alabama. I've tried to plant them here in south FL but no luck.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for the garden tour! It is nice to see all your warm-weather flowers as it is getting cold here. I particularly love peonies, so will look forward to your photos of them popped open when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, glad you came to visit; please leave your comments, I love to read them.