About Me

My photo
Shoreline, CT, United States
I would love for you to join me (a retired senior)in my zany crafting adventures with quilting (waaaaay too much fabric); scrapbooking (will I ever catch up?); redwork; counted cross stitch; crossword puzzles; reading; and cooking.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A-TISKET-A-TASKET

Last night, I was gazing at one of my all-time favorite applique pattern books (and drooling as usual):  
"When the Cold Wind Blows" by Barb Adams and Alma Allen from Blackbird Designs--and remembered that I had prepped their basket block called "Trick or Treat" to try out a new applique method.  After unearthing the tin I had them stored in, I looked at the 1st block I did and saw just how LOUSY the applique was!  But, I really, really love this little basket block--Whaaaa!! I just love that little diamond in the middle...aaaargh....

Well, allright then:  So, right then and there, I decided to try out my old standby favorite "blanket stitch" applique with No. 8 perle cotton...and...


Here they are: I don't know if the stitching shows, but the perle No 8 cotton thread is a warm honey golden color:



I had made a dresden plate quilt (called "Chez Nous"--which means "at home" in French) yrs ago for my cousin, Jeannette, as a housewarming gift; and used that stitch then....and loved doing it! 

 Soooo, why not try that--since it seems that I am absolutely, congenitally unable to do a good blind stitch--even with prepped pieces ---and just forget needleturn--I just make a 
H U G E mess of that!! And. It makes me very nervous....

Phew! I am really enjoying this and I like the old fashioned look it gives--just a teeny bit primitive.  The background blocks are a "white on white" muslin that I coffee dyed...(Maybe I shouldn't have had that second cup of coffee this morning LOL)

I guess I have a lot in the works--YA THINK?  But, right now, the plans and ideas keep on popping into my head.....so here I sit in the rain and wind working my little baskets--I took out the first one and am now BS-ing it also uh-oh--now THAT didn't look right BS= blanket stitching :--))))  Julierose, La Blageuse on coffee...

5 comments:

  1. I was just looking at that book this morning too! I love the baskets, I just might have to put that on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julierose I love your baskets and the amber colour is very warm looking. :)
    Cheers Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wanted to make a basket quilt. Your blocks make me want to start one! I like your fabric and feel the blanket stitch (BS!!) adds texture and depth to the blocks. We're getting the rain and wind tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good. Since we are both working on this quilt we will have to keep each other inspired. These little baskets are just addicting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love your baskets. I have had that quilt started for a couple years now and should get back to it. Love your blanket stitching.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, glad you came to visit; please leave your comments, I love to read them.