This has always been a door stop in our home...
My Mother told me stories of when she was a little girl and saw
a few of these heating up on the "big black stove" in Grand-mere's
kitchen --then she knew it was ironing day....;))))
But,,,,now I have co-opted it for another use⇓⇓⇓
Holding my ruler from shifting when I am cutting...
as I can no longer press down hard enough
with my left hand...
it solves that problem for me;)))
It is marked "5 lbs" and does the job beautifully....
And I love using a tool that my Grand-mere used --
talk about recycling, right??;)))
*************************************************
Here is what I was able to cut this morning
A "Gi-normous" pile of 2.5" squares for my next project...
As you can see above, I used my Go!Baby 2.5" strip cutter first, and
then cut 4 strips doubled at one go...
Can you guess what I am going to attempt to make?
*************************************
Meanwhile, yesterday afternoon, I set up side borders on my
infamous FRANKEN-QUILT [aka Red/Pink]..;000
I Measured and pinned very carefully........
Thanks all of you who suggested this method--
I'll admit (for shame!!) ;000--
that I have never done it this way--
just sewn on the borders
willy-nilly!!👾😰 (duh!!)
************************************************
I hope TGIF is good for you...
Hugs, Julierose, La Blageuse (always learning-euse)




It's always so much fun to be able to repurpose something pur grandparents used, so the memories live on. I recall an old similar iron at one grandmother's home, being used as a doorstop. Sadly I have nothing but memories of her or her home. Frankenquilt is moving forward again, so good to see. I'm still trying to convince our newer quilters in the ministry group to measure and cut their borders to size first before trying to just "sew strips." Some are finally seeing how much easier that is. I was so thankful when I learned that little trick a few years ago.
ReplyDeleteso when the quilt top is too big for the cut , well measured border, but sewing creep has made it not fit, what do you DO? Shirring the top edge always looks so messy. thx
DeleteI have one of those "Holders" to
ReplyDeletelove Grand-Mere's "weight". It's wonderful to have something like that that you know was touch by a now gone relative. Your "Franken-Quilt" looks great!
ReplyDeleteI love how we can always re-purpose something else to fit into our needs. Looking forward to seeing what you make with all those squares.
ReplyDeleteI love that iron - I have seen it on the Walton's - lol. I must watch too much tv.
ReplyDeleteI have no idea what you are going to make - are you going to tell us?
Great use for a family heirloom!
ReplyDeleteHi! I have a doorstop iron, but I m not sure it is heavy enough to hold the ruler. Worth a try! For holding paper patterns to trace around I ve been using old heavy potmetal flower frogs.
ReplyDeleteI love how pink/red is looking. The result is well worth the angst and time outs.
Great way to repurpose Grand Mere's iron. So you know with your go you can cut your strips the turn them and cut the other direction to cut squares.
ReplyDeleteLove your iron weight. And your pink quilt is coming along. Hmmmmm. 2.5 squares? There are tons of options with those. Tell us please.
ReplyDeleteGreat idea for the old iron. Yes always measure your borders and make them both the same size.
ReplyDeleteGreat idea for one of those old irons! We all seem to need extra help as we get older! I love looking at that red and pink quilt, it is so pretty! Well done!
ReplyDeleteGreat re-use for Grand-Mere's flat irons! I have issues with my left hand, too, so I appreciate your idea!
ReplyDeleteMany people use those irons for doorstops and I used to do the same - until I wrapped my toe around it one too many times. Much better to use them as fabric/pattern weights!
ReplyDelete