About Me

My photo
Shoreline, CT, United States
I would love for you to join me (a retired senior)in my zany crafting adventures with quilting (waaaaay too much fabric); scrapbooking (will I ever catch up?); redwork; counted cross stitch; crossword puzzles; reading; and cooking.

Sunday, March 15, 2026

STRANDED, et al

 

Why is she showing us a picture of her
garage you are asking????😡

Well..............

you see, yesterday  at 4 p.m. Tom went
to close our garage door and heard a huge
KA-BLAMMMMMM sound
AND....
If you look up at the tippy-top--
you can see that the spring that pulls the
door open and closed is broken!!

Both cars are inside, so we were virtually 
STRANDED ..until someone could come
to fix it for us as you cannot even
lift the door by hand as it goes all
wonky from side to side--
PLUS 
it's just too darn heavy being a 
double garage door!!!!

S  I  G  H  ..
Isn't it always something???

After a long search Tom (my hero πŸ’–πŸ’‹)
was able to find a local emergency
garage door repair company.

They are slated to come between
8-10 this morning...
We have fingers crossed that he can
fix it for us as Tom has two MD
appts this Tues and Wed...

*********************
Tom celebrated his 87th birthday
on Friday (yes, the 13th!!).
Our daughter, Candice, drove down 
after work to celebrate with us.
We toasted Tom with some Prosecco
and cheesecake.  
He got a lovely light summer Henley
from Candice in his favorite blue color
and these gifts from our son, Jeff,
 came via Amazon:
At first we couldn't figure out what the baskets
were= duh-- in our 80's you know....πŸ‘₯

they are:
Nice veggie grilling baskets --Tom's comment
was "well, now i'll have to eat my veggies..."
Jeff's answer "..along with beef chunks
and of course a cold beer" 
HAHAHA
Guy humor for sure!! πŸ˜πŸ˜‚πŸ˜„

The little box holds an all-purpose tool
 that looks like a pen but holds
several different functions, 
including a little level,
 a Phillips screwdriver
 and reg head one,
 and some other "guy" stuff.
Our son is a gadget guru...
😍😎

****************************
On my "Jelly Roll Jive" front
I managed to get 1/2 of it pin basted 
↴↴↴↴
and 
I have begun the 2nd quilt from this 
one same batik blue shades  roll:

It will look slightly different as I have
incorporated a Kaffee Fassett panel 
along with my mint green batik 
roses blocks. 
I'm loving how they add the element of
scrappiness to my piece.  

I have six out of 10 rows sewn...but
not together;  just pinned in place...
in groups of two rows....

I hope to finish the last 3 rows this
morning 
{while awaiting the repairman--fingers
crossed that he can fix it!!} 

****************************
Added: later on:
and this is what
is left over from the one jelly roll

Not too shabby, right???
thanks again ROSE
for a great pattern...;)))

Hugs, Julirose
La Blageuse
(File-under:-you-never-know!)
















16 comments:

  1. "Everything changes--Nothing is lost"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh ugh - that happened to our garage door once. Hope the repair goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the joys of home ownership! Hopefully the repair person can work wonders. At least you got out to celebrate Tom's special day.
    Both your jelly roll projects look great and I'll bet you feel good using up those strips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh darn - those things always happen on the weekend! Glad you found someone who can come fix it today. Tom's birthday sounds like it was wonderful - those veggie grilling gadgets caught my attention. And your jelly roll projects are looking great - happy quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grilling is so popular that there are lots of add-ons available to grill almost everything now. Your son is probably in the loop on most of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear, that garage door mishap sounds disastrous,and expensive. I hope the guy comes as promised to fix it for you, Mind you, I have had a fleeting thought about "what if the garage door stops working?". Robin used to deal with maintenance issues, at least he knew who to contact. I've got shower problems at the moment, and those birthday gift baskets would be a mystery to me as well

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hopefully by now the garage door magician has come and fixed your door. Those springs make a HUGE noise when they break (we've had it happen twice living here). Happy Birthday to Tom, and your second quilt project is looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, glad you were able to find someone to come out. Hope the door is all fixed by now and you are able to escape! Happy late Birthday to Tom! My Mom just turned 87 this month as well. Great use of the jelly roll and I like your addition of fabrics.
    What a race today =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope your cars have been freed by now!
    Happy birthday to Tom. I thought the basket things were bird feeders!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy belated birthday to Tom! It sure had taken me some time to figure out those 'baskets' too! lol Those extra fabrics added to the blues are so pretty! Sorry about the garage door! Hope it doesn't take too long to be repaired.

    ReplyDelete
  11. the bolts flew off of the garage door opener's arm and slammed the door down - SO happy that neither of us was standing under the door, or in the garage when the bolts and nuts went flying - ours is a double, too, and i can lift it to leave, but then i'm done for the day and hafta have Melissa spot me ... maybe we can save enough pennies to get it fixed before the grass needs to be cut...

    your jelly roll quilts are looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The garage door! Scary, I d have clautrophobia. Hope it got fixed. I wonder why it broke like thaaat, the dtrong winds?

    The batik stripy quilts are lovely. I think the second may actually be more beautiful than the first..
    Those grilling baskets are so cool as is the pen gadget. I love gadgets tho I never actually buy any. But the veg baskets, yum!---you know how I love my veggies--and just think they may come from your own garden?
    Send us a garage update soon, w good news.

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, yes -- when that spring goes, it goes! I learned that some years ago. And that's one reason we replaced the heavy, heavy wood garage door with lighter-weight steel. BTW, there are heavy springs in other doors--notably the dishwasher and the clothes dryer. I've had those go out, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I bet that spring quite a loud noise when it broke. I hope the repairman showed and was able to fix it. Happy Birthday to Tom! He received some fun gifts. I love the added Kaffe fabrics to your JRJ quilt and I'd say you made great use of the jelly roll. Not much left at all!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh no, I hope your garage door was fixed. We've had issues with our doors over the years but nothing like that! I wish Tom a Happy Birthday! You're doing great with your jelly roll quilt. I love that added Kaffe fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Belated Birthday to Tom! It sounds like you all had a wonderful celebration. Well aren't the grilling baskets nifty ? I didn't know what they were either. Hmmm I may pick up a few for my hubby's birthday. Aaw that Kafe fabric. Swoon. Happy quilting. Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Hello, glad you came to visit; please leave your comments, I love to read them.