About Me

My photo
Shoreline, CT, United States
I would love for you to join me (a retired senior)in my zany crafting adventures with quilting (waaaaay too much fabric); scrapbooking (will I ever catch up?); redwork; counted cross stitch; crossword puzzles; reading; and cooking.

Monday, January 12, 2015

RAINY DAY IN HEXAGONIA & POTATO LOVE


HERE'S MY LITTLE SHELF RIGHT OPPOSITE WHERE I SIT TO WATCH TV.  PHONE, CUPPA AND HEXAGON KIT--RIGHT AT HAND.  I AM WORKING AT THE LONG ROWS I HAVE SET UP FOR WATERLILIES. (Apropos in this rain, I thought lol)

SO FAR TODAY, WE HAVE ONLY HAD RAIN, BUT THE TEMPS ARE FALLING AND SOON I THINK IT WILL FREEZE.  UGH!

FOR ALL OF YOU WHO INQUIRED ABOUT MY FLU BUG AND SENT ME GET WELL WISHES I THANK YOU.  I AM FEELING A LOT BETTER TODAY.


In between sewing  on Monet's City (resting that hand), I am reading my latest quilt book--I just love THIS sampler quilt--and I am not a huge fan of samplers as a rule. (Although there are a whole lot of lovely ones out there)

But somehow, this has caught my attention. (Could it be that I love BUSY quilts [heart]!!

Elizabeth Hartman, author of one of my other books "Modern Patchwork" (I bought this hoping to find patterns for my modern fabrics) really makes a wonderful presentation of her methods; although the blocks look complicated, somehow her instructions make them look do-able (even for me!!).

She states upfront that this is to be a long-term project--not a fast quilt.  This appeals to me.  Working on one block and taking my time...I was SOOOOO tempted to rush out and get more modern fabrics, but decided that I should USE UP what I have...AND I already had Melody Miller's Faces fabric right in my stash!!  (Fabric diet and all ...still holding ) YAY!

Rainy Monday's dinner will be leftover roast chicken, served with leftover gravy, stuffing and my own oven fries.  (potato recipe to follow)..............

I make these by peeling fresh potatoes and cutting them into wedges (not too thin); then putting them into the fridge in a bowl of ice and water;

then, about 45 minutes before dinner, drain, dry in a towel and sprinkle with good Virgin Olive Oil (also spread a bit of oil on the sheet);
 place on cookie sheet and bake at 375-400 degrees until they crisp up on the outside. (In my oven, usually 45-60 minutes)

 They will still be chewy on the inside and crunchy on the outside.  (And, of course, you HAVE to test for doneness--hopefully, there will be SOME left for dinner LOL--spoken by a true dyed-in-the-wool potato lover who has not eaten them in over a YEAR!!!!!)

hugs to you all, Julierose, La Blageuse



12 comments:

  1. pretty water lillies on a rainy day like today. I am recouping from the creepy crud going around. not much goin on here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No potatoes in over a year! How did you do it? I haven't ever tried baked wedge fries. Thanks for the recipe.
    I don't care for sampler quilts either. But I do like the kind where you use up your orphan blocks. Go figure.
    Love your hexies, pretty color.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you are feeling better. We are having a rainy day today, too. Perfect for sitting sewing. Your potato wedges sound yummy - but I'd be likely to "test" too many for them to make it to the table.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those potatoes sound very yummy. I bake sweet potato fries in the oven with a bit of oil and salt. i don't like sampler quilts much either. For me, I think it is the sashing not a big fan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad that you are feeling better.

    Nice hexies :)

    The potatoes sound wonderful, I will have to try them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your potato recipe. Hope to try it one of these days. Today was a great day to stay in. I didn't mind working since it was so dismal. So glad to hear you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Comment as-tu fait pour ne pas manger de pommes de terre pendant une année ??? Wow....
    Merci pour la recette !!
    Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy to hear you are feeling better!
    That looks like a fascinating Sampler - I look forward to following your journey with this once it begins.
    Those wedge fries sound yummy and very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad to hear that you're feeling better. We don't eat many potatoes here, either ... in fact prior to the pot roast I made last week, I'm not sure I've fixed potatoes here in a year's time. We do get potatoes (as in fries) when we grab lunch out (as in Five Guys), so I can't say that I haven't had any in that year's time. ;-)

    I like sampler quilts ... but I haven't made one. Maybe I need to do that one of these days. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been so tempted to purchase that book too--you may have pushed me over the edge. I'm not at all a modern quilter, but something about the cover of the book speaks to me! I am a complete carbaholic, so those potatoes sound awesome--I'm drooling on my keyboard--haha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never heard about putting the potato wedges in the fridge with icewater! Maybe that's what I do wrong.:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am trying to not buy and I need to rid myself of a lot of scraps, glad you are better

    ReplyDelete

Hello, glad you came to visit; please leave your comments, I love to read them.