About Me
- Julierose
- Shoreline, CT, United States
- I would love for you to join me (a retired senior)in my zany crafting adventures with quilting (waaaaay too much fabric); scrapbooking (will I ever catch up?); redwork; counted cross stitch; crossword puzzles; reading; and cooking.
Thursday, August 13, 2020
BUTTERFLY DAYS...
It was a bit cooler this morning for a while;
so, I made my way out to
my embroidery spot on our deck..
Took out my new hoop and Orange
Butterfly....
Set up my little Vera Bradley pouch that I just love....
And began to stitch:
I always wax my thread as it really
helps with any potential
knotting or tangling...
and began stitching...
I do so enjoy the repetitiveness and preciseness of getting the needle
right on the "X' lines...slowly finding the exact spot....
Most of my life I spent practicing my piano for hours a day--
[My degree is in piano pedagogy...]
The repetitive nature of learning a piece
and the preciseness of the rhythms therein always satisfied me.
Now that I can no longer play because of my
hand/thumb/arm problems, I found
that there were many long hours to fill...
And so came quilting, embroidery, diamond painting...all requiring
the same types of patient skills.
these have helped to fill that void for me...
Making ,,,,,,, Slow,,,,,,,Progress,,,,
I need to still slow down more
as you can see from some
"missed" placements...
;)))))
********************************************
Last year we slashed our huge, overgrown hydrangea down almost to the
ground...and look what has happened to a bush we thought we would
end up having to dig out↧↧↧↧↧↧
It is going to bloom for us...;)))
***************************************************
AND.....
We planted this magnolia
(supposed?) tree 2 years
ago....
Does anyone know if we should be trimming this somehow and/or
feeding it??? We did have some flowers early in the Spring this
year...but it looks more like a bush than a tree...??????
************************************
Our cul-de-sac is still being torn up during water pipe replacements...
it looks like a patchwork quilt with torn up sections, tarred areas and
trenches filled with gravel--travel is perilous at best...;000
I hope you are all healthy and staying safe...💓💓👵😷😷
Hugs from my presently hot and humid area
Julierose, La Blageuse (Summer-embroidering-euse)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








Your Butterflies are so pretty and a fun project. Do you miss your hours at the piano, or was enough, enough?
ReplyDeleteI love your Vera Bradley pouch! Is it inteneded to be a craft holder or is it ? a crossbody purse? I want one!
I don't know about your magnolia, ask at a garden center? And [oddly] hydrangeas like to be deeply pruned so that the heavy heads of flowers bloom on short sturdy stems.
Enjoy this cool greay coastal day! Grocery day for me, sigh.
love
lizzy
That looks like a lovely place to stitch. That case is wonderful to hold all the necessary tools... I hope there is a little chocolate tucked in there as well!
ReplyDeleteYour deck looks so inviting! My quilting and knitting get me through everything! When times get rough or even boredom, I have something to turn to. I love your butterflies. I have no idea about plants. That's my husband's hobby!
ReplyDeletei should get up early and go out on my patio. I guess it wouldn't be all that comfortable as it's in full sun in the mornings. Maybe an evening stitching session would be better. It all looks so comfortable at your house.
ReplyDeleteI trim my hydrangeas back every year but I don't know anything about Magnolias. Not sure they would like our winters.
ReplyDeleteYou have a very nice stitchy spot all set up on your deck. Love the way you use the Vera Bradley pouch as well. Better hold tight to the butterfly so it doesn't take off for the hydrangea :)
ReplyDeleteYour stitching spot looks awesome. I am envious of your hydrangea. I wonder if magnolias are like other trees. You need to keep them pruned, branches that come out below the graft are suckers and take a lot of the nourishment from the upper areas.
ReplyDeleteYou have such a comfortable spot on your deck to sit and stitch, with everything at hand. But where is the cool drink, better get the waiter to bring you one. I enjoy stitching outside too, always so pleasant.
ReplyDeleteYou have the perfect set up for relaxing and stitching on your deck!! I would love to be doing that but we still have cold and rain but earlier in the week we had a beautiful sunny day and some of the Spring flowers arse coming into bloom. Just noticed my freesia starting to open. Sorry to hear that something you have loved and practised daily for a huge part of your life is now unable to be included in your days, but your quilting and patchwork is beautiful, watch that thumb,arm and hand - I sympathise!!
ReplyDeleteI'm repeating my post Julierose 'cos I clicked on sign out instead of publish!. I was writing to say you have a beautiful spot to sit and hand sew outside on your embroidery. We are still having Wintery weather whilst you have the heat and humidity, we soon will be in that stage. Take care of the thumb,hand,arm problems - I sympathise wholeheartedly with you!! We are just about to prune our hydrangeas, I cut back a magnolia stellata last year, way, way back and it has masses of flowers and strong growth right now.
ReplyDeleteYou look well set up for stitching on the deck.
ReplyDeleteI have a magnolia that was planted about 4 years ago and has not flowered or grown in that time. It is the same size as when it was put in. Maybe one day it will begin to grow! Or perhaps it is in the wrong spot and needs to move.
Love your stitching spot and butterfly. There are I think both magnolia bushes and trees and each is pruned differently. Google both to find out. You may find out which yours is and what it likes best. Acid loving plants do well with a sprinkling of used dried coffee grounds around the base. Banana peels help boost potassium in your soil. Did a little pocket near and plop in.i cut mine into 1 inch pieces. Plants love it and you are getting free fertilizer
ReplyDeleteSuch a perfect stitching spot. I do envy you. We had a piano in the house the entire time I was growing up and that thing got hauled to three different houses. Not a soul ever played it!
ReplyDeleteWhat a nice embroidery spot on your deck. Nice butterfly design.
ReplyDeleteThe drier air has been nice, but boy I wish we had more rain. maybe today.