About Me

My photo
Shoreline, CT, United States
I would love for you to join me (a retired senior)in my zany crafting adventures with quilting (waaaaay too much fabric); scrapbooking (will I ever catch up?); redwork; counted cross stitch; crossword puzzles; reading; and cooking.

Tuesday, August 18, 2020

LEFTOVERS and INERTIA

                           I am on a campaign to use up all my leftover 2.5" squares...

                             Here are the first few of my "new found" desire 
                                            to sew 
                                                 once again
                   
For the last 3-4 evenings, I've been sorting squares in colorways:

      Here are some of the "blues"  ↶↶↶↶↶↶







Moon phases....





                                               Sailing away... "Ahoy"








Shy Lion--
being watched by a 
Zebra :))))








                                         Christmas Angel dreams......







Whale songs....







                                     Do the whales hum Ravel's Bolero perhaps???  

                                        I now have enough to make four more blocks...
                                            So, there will be 6 blocks in total of these.

                                                With  a few strips of 6 blues leftover...
*****************************************************************************
THE BACK STORY:

So, I began these blocks, deep😷 in my 
Covid brain fog...not wanting to sew at all---
REALLY not having the desire to sew --AT ALL!!

I began dispiritedly just MAKING  myself sew twosies--
from a shoebox-full of leftovers...

S I G H ...

Just push on through it... aaargh....😔😩

Then, strangely...

I began to hunt and peck 
           through my shoebox for some 
                   that "kinda" matched up a bit...
                           and that piqued my interest a little....

            Then I decided:    why not strip sets... from those twosies...
                          using my leftover jelly roll fabrics maybe,,,hmmmmm
                                   there's a thought....not just my usual
                                     chock-a-block postage stamp quilts...

          [I know this is nothing new, but it was to me...you know how that happens?]
                                 So, I slept on that idea for a night...

I had not done any other sewing since I finished up my binding journey...

[and there are still two of those outstanding--the Christmas two pieces--
but I had had it with binding and layering for a while.;0000 
So they are waiting in the wings]
************************************************
I was happy to be back sewing a bit at a time now...
And still sorting by colors: red/green--I have a lot of those
and the "others" just a kinda mish-mash...

And, best of all--;)))

My shoebox of those 2.5" sqs. has 
morphed into
twosies.... 

Which  will be on hand if I need them for borders or
anything else that calls my name...
************************************************

I have been reading how many of us are or have been stymied,
almost feeling paralyzed by enertia, during this Covid outbreak...

I am thankful to have come upon at least  hint of my former
"go-to--it-ive-ness"
for sewing....

I hope this find you all healthy and able to move yourself along...

Hugs, Julierose, La Blageuse (machining away-euse)






16 comments:

  1. Sometimes we just dont feel like doing much at all, do we. Then a smidgen of inspiration strikes and we are away again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll never watch a nature program again without thinking of Ravel's Bolero. Actually, it just makes me happy imagining that that is really what they are humming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun play time. I love to think the "what ifs" when playing in my scraps

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know what - shows the different stages of Covid! We are settling in to a new way of life.
    I feel what you did was solve a great puzzle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, I think we’re all going through those Covid ups and downs. We just need to give ourselves permission to go with the flow. Your remark about whale songs reminds me of one of my favorite old Far Side comics (Gary Larsen) entitled “Whale Songs”. It was a boat with a wire and microphone suspended deep into the water, and a whale was nearby singing “Louie Louie”!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we're dealing with a lot right now. Some days you're inspired and some days you're not. I think it's fine to do whatever you feel is right for you. I love playing with scraps. Sometimes, that's enough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you! I've somehow been motivated to do a little myself recently - must be something in the air.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are definitely going through some trying times. You manage to come up with some really unique designs. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. I call it Covid fog--I don't think my brain is processing things in the usual way. I have 2 containers of 2.5" squares that I need to work on. I'm glad you have a plan to start using your fun squares--you will clear them out in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. After my knee surgery, I didn't want to do anything. Of course I didn't do much anyway. 😂😂😂😂 Back to sewing a couple of months ago. Sure like your blues.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you are having some fun in the sewing room. I might try and stitch something today... we will see.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Every little bit of stitching helps - so does sorting, cleaning, tidying, purging, and fondling our fabrics. For me even being in the studio with my lights is enough for some days. No pressure - just presence.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to hear that you are back to enjoying some machine time, Julierose, and congrats on winning the pumpkin prize @ Relaxing Robin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to see you're feeling the stitch once again. I find sometimes you almost have to force yourself and for some reason that often turns into suddenly realizing you're enjoying yourself. I've sometimes used the '15 minute' rule and talked myself into doing something for just 15 minutes giving myself permission to stop at the end. Sometimes I do, but sometimes I look up hours later.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad to see you seem to have recovered your energy for quilting!! I think we've all been feeling a loss of motivation since Covid came upon us, I had thought when we went into lock down here that I'd be sewing up a storm, quilts galore and so on but it didn't seem to work out that way, I found it hard to begin anything sometimes. Back in the swing now but wouldn't you know it, I now a wrist brace slowing me down!
    Keep up the quilting Julierose!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post. Yep many people are just stuck. Sometimes it doesn't take a lot to get your sewjo back.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, glad you came to visit; please leave your comments, I love to read them.