One stitch at a time; I am using a large ,
easy-to-hold needle and not loading
it up--but just taking one stitch...
Slow but doable for me these days...
I work on 1/4 block at a time and do
take 2-3 days off in between so as to not
strain my hands....
Here is my quilting "best friend"..my
little needle threader--this allows me
to use a bigger thread :
[DMC Coton Perle thread No. 8;
Color B5200--
a lovely soft, white...
perfect for my bigger stitches...]
***********************************
My little angel--a gift from a close,
now sadly departed, friend when my
Mom passed...stands guard over my Mom's
garden dish planting...which I just
repotted....
AND
You can just see how my waxed
amaryllis is doing behind it--
(or not !!)
just behind my planter...
Its green stems are
S L O W L Y
pushing up...
Still hoping for it to take off--
so far, no luck!!!!
👽
I am hopeful that even if it
doesn't come all the way up,
I can take off the wax and re-pot
the bulb for next year...
**************************
Yesterday we brought up a
gift for our daughter, Candice, for
her new home--
A new electric lawnmower...
At 56 she is a first-time solo
home owner and needs
to learn to take care of so many things...
Here is "Dad" demonstrating---
and
here is Candice
doing her first "run";)))))
That first corner is a tricky one;)))
😁😂😍
Note that she is wearing her Winter coat--
it was so VERY COLDand more like November than April...
We warmed up after
with hot coffee and
bagels with cream cheese.
Y U M ;)))
So much for her to learn
about oil heat,
de-humidifiers--
electric bills etc etc...
all on her own....
as a new home owner...
Hoping to get her settled in
and comfortable soon...
******************************
It is raining again here and the winds
have come up again...
A gray Sunday, made better
by watching the Red Sox, who in
the 5th inning have pulled out
ahead 3 to 2....;)))
GO SOX!!!
Hugs, Julierose,
La Blageuse
(resting-on-a-Sunday)






Reading "The Stone Wife" by Peter Lovesey
ReplyDeleteHome ownership has a big learning curve - good luck to Candice.
ReplyDeleteBagels are one of my favorite things.
Your quilt is coming along nicely. It's not about the speed, it's about the pleasure. I'm usually in such a hurry to get things done just so I can work on the next one. For some reason I'm calmly taking my time on the current little quilt I'm hand quilting. It's such a delight to not worry about any of my self-imposed deadlines.
Good for your daughter! It's a huge step but one I'm sure she won't regret.
ReplyDeleteMost of the day was gray here too but the sun's out now and hopefully it will stick around for a few days.
Good afternoon to watch baseball and our Jays won (yay!!).
I forgot baseball season has started! I'm waiting on the NHL playoffs so I can watch my local team. I really dislike the 'blackout' area idea so you can't watch a local team. Love your stitches and congrats on your daughter. There is a bunch to learn but thankfully, google will be her friend for looking up things.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your evening.
I've never seen one of the waxed Amaryllis take so long to grow. Mine shot up pretty fast once they started. It will depend on how much root base they left whether you can save it for next year. On mine it was all cut off.
ReplyDeleteI had dismal luck with my waxed amaryllis adventure - I hope your's fares better but it is growing so far about like mine did (sorry!). Best wishes to your daughter and she navigates the mine-field known as home ownership (never a dull moment). But with the journey comes great satisfaction, too.
ReplyDeleteThat amaryllis is being a bit stubborn. I hope it finally blooms for you. Congratulations to your daughter on her new home.
ReplyDeleteI've given our amaryllis bulbs to our housecleaner who is an avid gardener. She plants them in the flower bed in the spring and they rebloom in midsummer.
ReplyDeleteWhere did you get that nifty needle threader? I have only the flimsy silvery 'coin' threader from some long-ago sewing kit.
Your daughter is blessed to have so much love and support from you and your husband.
ReplyDeleteSuch a cute needle threader, tell me more?
Good plan to de-wax the waxed amaryllis after it grows and maybe blooms. I have never tried the waxed ones.
I hope you got out today for this rare spring day. Sorry to say cold rain are returning!
love
lizzy
I love your Big Stitch with perle cotton! That needle threader is just the ticket for the larger thread and needle. Good progress. A lawn mower was a great housewarming gift, even though it's cold the grass keeps growing. Good luck to her.
ReplyDeleteMy 84 year old mom loves to mow her lawn with her electric lawn mower! It's light and easy to maneuver. I'm sure your daughter will love it! I love the look of the perle cotton on your quilt. Take your time, you'll enjoy it more.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure your daughter will manage just fine, especially with her Dad there to offer help and technical advice.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations and good luck to your daughter. I'm sure she'll get a lot of pleasure from that lawnmower, once she's got the hang of the corners. I use mowing the lawn as a way to let off steam when I've had a frustrating day. Well done on finding a way of hand-quilting that is working for you; much better to pace yourself and avoid painful hands!
ReplyDeleteI love the stitching on your blocks. I should try big stitch quilting again.... I have trouble with needle threads. For me, trying to get them into the eye of the needle is almost as hard as putting the thread in the eye. I did see a gadget-y one but did not buy it.
ReplyDeleteI have always wondered how the waxed amaryllises would do. It was seems a little confining for the roots? I hope it takes off and becomes a beauty!
I think, at 56, it would be hard (for me, anyway) to become a new, first-time homeowner. There are so many things to learn, to take care of, to be attentive to. I hope everything goes smoothly for her and that she loves her new home!