About Me

My photo
Shoreline, CT, United States
I would love for you to join me (a retired senior)in my zany crafting adventures with quilting (waaaaay too much fabric); scrapbooking (will I ever catch up?); redwork; counted cross stitch; crossword puzzles; reading; and cooking.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

AUTUMN WINDS--A Favorite Quilt


My Autumn Winds quilt: made eons ago, after a trip with a good friend to a knitting retreat in Killington Mountain.  The trees were so vibrant that, when I came home, I immediately  began collecting leafy fabrics for about 6 months and used my own hand dyes for the leaf blocks.  This is one of my favorite quilts.
I thought the string pieced "Eye of God" blocks were apropos to the changing seasons....


This was the 1st time I had branched out and done a block other than a square...
I thought placed in this way, they looked like leaves on trees....



Here are some of the string pieced blocks...














and more..(windy--sorry for the crooked pix!)

I just loved that little red fabric with little black crows................

And here is the birches fabric for the sides...

It took about a year to make, as I recall, in fits and starts.............I didn't really have any plan..
(Added later as a thought...)
P.S.  As I look at this quilt, so rooted in memory, I am pondering as to why I choose to make the quilts that I do today......and feeling that perhaps, they should be rooted in memories also....

Why do you make the quilts you do????

Hoping you all have a wonderful week with the changing leaves....
hugs, Julierose, La Blageuse

7 comments:

  1. Quilts are such a wonderful way for us to remember special moments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great scrappy quilt. I love all the colors and it really does look like changing leaves! I had that red fabric with the black bird too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a string quilt and you made a nice autumn feeling quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think quilts that are inspired by something are so much more meaningful and special... I can see why this is a favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see why it is a favorite. it is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great autumn quilt. I love the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is stunning! Wonderful colours

    ReplyDelete

Hello, glad you came to visit; please leave your comments, I love to read them.