About Me

My photo
Shoreline, CT, United States
I would love for you to join me (a retired senior)in my zany crafting adventures with quilting (waaaaay too much fabric); scrapbooking (will I ever catch up?); redwork; counted cross stitch; crossword puzzles; reading; and cooking.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

VENETZIA, ET AL

Venetzia is starting to come together...4 rows of butterflies (see below for
the top row)

No vertical sashings here, as I want the idea of that watery background 
to permeate under the butterflies...even though they were appliqued onto separate blocks....

Now I am thinking that I want to applique something on those horizontal strips...
flowers, circles leaves--just thinking right now...

Here is that top row that I couldn't get in the first photo...so there are four rows in total-- separated by 3 bands...

And.....it is narrow (30" +/-) --so need to add some width also...not sewing it all together until I do the appliqueing...

I'd love to use my scrappy 2-sies in neutrals and darkish browns on the borders in some way...they would be a kind of coin-strippy thing...

This one has turned out to be quite a low volume quilt despite the brightness of some of those butterflies...

I picture the Grand Canal ---all that golden ochre-ry color everywhere--
even the waters sparkled with gold at sunset...

This will take a while to find the right fabrics and there are quite a few decisions to be made as yet....

*************************************
A side trip down Memory Lane....

Here are a few shots of my very first Improv piece--I made this in the 80's before I even KNEW that it WAS Improvisation--
I just had very little of each fabric and wanted to use it up 
(one of my very first quilt pieces)




                                    I called it Early Winter.....
those little squares are all scenes of Wintery trees and limbs....











I only had bits and bobs
of that gold hand dyed 
and the Japanese leafy print...
and next to nothing left of the
wintry trees....and a little soft
gray print...and the stormy skies
piece....










You can see that the tree print gets smaller and smaller...;)))











I hand quilted this one freely--again before I knew
there were hand quilting patterns, rules, etc...
 whatever occurred to me with the idea of an early snowfall....






This remains one of my own personal favorite pieces ..........

It hangs over wine chest in our dining room.....
reminding me to "let go" of my preconceived notions and go with the flow....

Hugs on this quiet, cool Sunday...
Julierose, La Blageuse, (remembering-euse)


11 comments:

  1. I'm glad it is cool where you are - the heat index is nearly 120 outdoors right now. Good for you for keeping that beloved reminder to let go and let things be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU are an ARTIST. Such a pretty quilt.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those butterflies. I would have put some flowers in between, because butterflies and flowers is a perfect match.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your butterflies and the background is fabulous. You are so great at artistic quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, you were ahead of the times with your Early Winter improv quilt - good for you! Yes, some applique on the strips would be nice, it would have to be pretty small though wouldn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your butterflies are beautiful, I enjoy seeing the progress and reading about what you're thinking and planning.
    You got the colors just right on your 'Early Winter' improv!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your word pictures fusing your butterflies with Venice - now those images and colors will be in my head all day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The butterflies are happier without vertical sashing...they won't feel boxed in...LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too would add something to the smashing between rows. Lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your butterflies look so light and airy! I'm expecting them to start flying around! So pretty! I know you've had improv in you for years!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, glad you came to visit; please leave your comments, I love to read them.